Chapter Twelve

Cold. I was so cold. They had left me chained up and hanging naked between the two trees closest to each other they could find, yet my body still burned from the aching muscles being forced to stretch themselves apart to hold me up. The dropping temperature didn't help.

But I suppose it was helpful in a way, I had been out here so long I numbed the pain of my blackened eyes, my busted lip and my battered wings. Of course I'd feel it in the morning, if I ever lived to that point.

I could see a pool of crimson beneath my feet, yet I saw no wound but I suspected it was from when they whipped my back. I'm glad I blacked out for that part.

Drip...

Drip...

Drip...

The sound was hypnotic - I wanted to sleep, to fade out from reality but there was no escape. Not down here where no one would come from me; well, no sane being offering help to a freak with wings.

So I kept myself conscious in order to make sure no wanderer stumbled across me while I was unguarded, nasty things could've happened.

I did whatever I could, I bit my lip till it bled, I tugged the restraints to feel the burn, I stretched my back to feel the warmth of my blood trickle down the skin of my back and drip from my naked feet: I survived.

I woke in a gasp, my eyes suddenly flying open on shock. That was such an old but painful memory, why do I have to remember it now of all times. I had paid the price of my actions yet I don't think I can ever be free of them. I push back those thoughts and memories, deciding it would be more useful for me if I got some sleep. My eyes flutter close gently before I noticed. How could I not notice?

Eyes wide, I attempt to reach my hand out for Draco but of course I couldn't. It was happening again. It was happening again! I breathed faster and in short pants as I panicked and thrashed. No, no, no, no!

I was cold, naked and alone. Chained in an abandoned area between two large poles.

Not again!