Chapter 13

The day after the Avengers visited Ms. Abbott

Ms. Abbott's P.O.V

I ran a hand through my hair, as my heartbeat pulsed uncontrollably. I let out a little sob and my mind raced with thoughts that were filled with disbelief. Allison was Thor's daughter. Allison was the princess of Asgard. The puzzle that I didn't even know existed, started getting put together in my brain. Her sudden appearance, the feeling she had when she flew, the love of pop tarts. It seems like the love for the sweet treat is commen in the family. 

A sudden knock on the door succeeded in distracting me, and I acknowledged the action by saying " Come in. "

Amy, one of our newest members peeked her head inside, her big round eyes curiously peered into my office. Once she saw that a smile had formed on my face, she walked into the room and carefully shut the door behind her. She took a deep breath and then stuttered, " Ms. A- Abbott I-I dropped a b-bottle of milk in the k-kitchen, "

However, as soon as she finished her sentence, she closed her eyes and looked down towards the hardwood floor, not daring to make eye contact with me. Her body was stiff, and she was trembling from what she assumed was going to happen. Tears welled up in my eyes because I knew what she was experiencing, she thought that she was going to be physically abused because she dropped a bottle of milk. Unfortunately, over the course of the many years that I had taken care of these kids, I had learned about some of the events that had happened in their past. The horrible situations they had been caught in, the dreadful experiences they had to endure. 

I, myself had been what many people call a victim in my previous life, and yes, I do refuse to acknowledge that everything that has happened to me happened in a single lifetime. I know what it feels like to be beaten until you are battered and bruised. I know what it feels like to hide the scars that other people inflicted on you and how it truly feels to be alone in the dangerous world we inhabit. However, my escape route only led to a much darker and horrifying world when I escaped. 

I softly whispered the little girl's name, as she still continued to start towards the natural oak-colored floor. I knew that touching her might not be the best solution to the problem, so I got up from my desk and approached her quietly. My hands brushing away my salty tears, as I pushed the other situation aside for later. I crouched down in front of the scared little girl and met her baby blue eyes. She was nervously nibbling on her lip, although I noticed that some of her stiffness left her body once she saw my smile. " Amy, It's completely ok! I know that would never do it on purpose and I want to promise you something, I will never ever raise my hand on you, " I said. 

Amy, met my own hazel eyes and slowly nodded, as she comprehends my words. She cautiously moved a little closer to me and raised her arms that were littered with scars. I recognized her hesitant gesture and softly wrapped my arms around her after I got into a kneeling position. She rested her head against my shoulder and just let out a soft sigh. A calm feeling swept through me, and I realized that I needed the comfort just as much as she did. 

A few seconds later she pulled out of the embrace and gave a smile that showcased her adorable dimple. " Do you want to go and finish the rest of your breakfast, Amy? " I questioned her, knowing she would never blurt it out to me. She responded to the question with a sheepish nod, and then, she quietly waved to me and then walked out of the door. 

I got up from my previous position, and walked over to my neat, but clustered desk. The picture of the baby stared back at me, and I just stared right back at it, hoping that it would eventually fade away.