Chapter 26

" Did you just roll your eyes, " Morgan screeched, sounding a bit annoying if I am being honest. She had seemed so cool when she came into the cafe, but I suppose it was just the initial shock that had tampered with my judgment. In response, I just exhaled, trying to ignore the screams that were coming out of her mouth. I tried to jog my memory, hoping to remember anything that would explain to me what happened yesterday. For some reason, I couldn't remember anything, much less killing somebody. But I knew one thing for sure, the Starks and most likely the Avengers had been involved. 

The Avengers only got involved when something really dire was happening, like space gods attacking Earth or Robots trying to end humanity. So, whatever the hell happened yesterday had to be serious enough for them to get involved. This crazy chick thought that I had killed someone, but people were killed every day. That was just the sad truth. So, how come the Earth's mightiest heroes had gotten themselves involved with a single murder? It had to have affected them in a personal way somehow, maybe a family member of one of the Avengers was the victim? Or someone who worked with them, like a friendly agent? 

Looking back at our conversation, well it was more like a screaming match from her end, I realized that she said I killed him. So the victim had to be a male. Also, seeing how hysteric and emotional Morgan was, he had to be someone whom she specifically was close to. I racked my brain trying to think of males that were close to the Avengers... Loki was a male, and I'm not sure if he can be considered an Avenger yet. Wait a second, the man! The man that she came in with at the coffee shop. She was obviously close with him, and if he was in trouble, the Avengers would probably rush to save him for Morgan's sake. Seeing as they thought I killed him, they most likely knocked me unconscious and stored me in this cell. From the blow to the head, I might have gotten a concussion, which gave me memory loss. Everything seemed to flow into place as if they were missing puzzle pieces coming together. 

But, one part of the equation still didn't make sense: why did they think I killed him? Last I remember, Emma and I were riding off to Florida on a long road trip. Oh my god, Emma. What happened to her? I looked at Morgan again, this time fear is present in my eyes. I opened my mouth, ready to cut her off when a loud shout was heard outside of the cell. Loud footsteps started to accompany the scream and Morgan had gone white as a sheet. The door slammed open and gave us the view of an angry Tony Stark. I had seen Tony Stark have many emotions on his face in our deep relationship that consisted of me watching him on my television. I had seen him looking cocky, arrogant, happy, the list goes on and on, but never in my life had I seen him looking as angry as he did now. Guessing by Morgans's face, neither had she. 

To avoid having a screaming match in front of me, Morgan scurried out of the room with her eyes looking down, avoiding both her father's furious face and my curious eyes. Tony followed her out, but not before he sent me a scathing glare. Ouch, guess I've ended up on Iron Man's bad side. Huh, I wonder if that's a record, Allison Foster: The girl that made Iron Man HATE her in under a minute. I could totally see that headline on the Daily Bugle. Emma would definitely love it. 

Shoot, Emma. In all the excitement of Tony Stark coming in here like the Hulk, I had completely forgotten to ask Morgan about Emma. My mind ran with worry again; Emma meant the moon to me, just as I knew I meant the stars to her. It was a saying that we had created as kids to reassure each other that we would always be there for each other because the stars and the moon was always together. Through thick and thin, they were a constant, a pair that wouldn't go away even if every single human died. Just like us, we were sisters, and we would always be with each other. Whether it was in person or our hearts. 

Growing up in an orphanage is tough; everybody knows that. That's why they get that pity look on their faces when you let it slip in a conversation. However, I don't know if understand the true magnitude of the situation. You don't know if you can see your best friend tomorrow, a person could have decided that they wanted you in their family, and you could be taken away right in front of them. The worst part is that they don't know if you will be alright. You could be harmed in so many different ways. That's why many of the kids never grew close to each other, they all knew it wouldn't last anyway. It was even rare an occurrence that an orphan and an outsider, aka a person who still has both their parents,  would become this close, especially at such a young age. It was even more surprising that they would remain so close. 

I closed my eyes, trying to contain my emotions. Nothing would have happened to her. She is still safe. She is still alive. I repeated this like a mantra as if it could replace the growing dread in my heart. My gut was telling me that something had happened to Emma, that she was in danger.