Chapter 20

Steve Rodgers P.O.V 

I sat on a luxurious seat on the official Avenger's Quinjet. I kept my gaze on the unoccupied seat in front of me, not daring to look at the expression of my teammates. We all knew about the risks that came with this job, but here we all are, sitting on a transportation device that will take us to it. We were all here because we wanted to be; nobody was forcing us to endanger ourselves. We were all here because we wanted to do the right thing. We wanted to do the heroic thing. Because ultimately that is what we are, at our very core. We are people who put ourselves in danger to try and save the rest of the world. And that is the best damn definition of a hero I ever heard. 

But it is so nerve-wracking; to know that this day could be our last. That the next breath we take could be our final one. That we had just seen our loved ones for possibly the last time. That we could die at any moment. So many people wanted to be us; they wanted to lift Thor's hammer or have Wanda's magic, but they never understood what came along with the job. They didn't comprehend the sacrifices that we have made along the way or the ones we continue to make. They just realize it. 

But I did, I understood what each and every single person on the Quinjet had gone through to end up an Avenger. Every single person had lost a loved one, every single person had wished countless times that they could change their lives, every single person wished to be an ordinary, blind citizen. It was strange, everybody wanted to be something that they are not. They all wanted to be different. Some wanted the muscle and the abbs, while others wanted the resistance and determination. A select few wanted the attention. 

I tuned out of my thoughts, as I felt someone slide into the comfortable seat next to me. I turned my head to look at the person and found myself staring at Sam. We stared at each other for a few seconds, communicating without uttering a single word. Eventually, I gave him a small nod. 

However horrible this job might be, I knew that I had gained a family because of it. I guess this job was a blessing and a curse. 

Thor's P.O.V

I sighed as I leaned back into my chair, countless thoughts and theories floating around in my head. There were parts of me that were shocked, there were parts of me that were hopeful, and there were parts of me that just didn't know what to feel. As soon as I had heard about what happened, my mind immediately thought of her. The person that had been occupying my mind every single moment of every single day. I didn't know if she would be the destination of this plane, and I didn't know if I wanted her to be. Even if Loki had confirmed that she was. 

Natasha Romanoff's P.O.V 

I looked at the picture held in Clint's hand. He looked so proud as he explained what Lila, Nathanial, and Coopper were up to. A feeling of sadness erupted inside of me as I listened to him talk. I would never have this. 

Tony Stark's P.O.V 

" Listen, kid, I'm sorry for bringing you here," I said to Peter, feeling a bit guilty for taking him with us. I knew that he was old enough to make his own decisions, but I still felt responsible for his well-being. Especially, now that May is gone. 

Bruce Banner's P.O.V

I did a quick scan of the room, noticing the small pairs that had formed. I emitted a small sigh, it felt lonely at times. Everyone else had someone, but me? I was as alone as ever. I mean, I had Tony, but he was busy with his family, which included Peter. I don't blame him at all; I would do the exact same thing if I had one. 

Wanda's P.O.V

My fingers were interlocked with Vision's, my head resting on his shoulder. I knew we were both incredibly tense; we had not been on a mission in a long time, and just stepping onto the awaiting Quinjet had been a task. He squeezed my hand in reassurance, the small action bringing me an immense amount of comfort. I knew that as long as I was with him; I would be alright. 

Loki's P.O.V

My mind was a whirlwind of chaos as I stared at a spot on the seat in front of me. I didn't know what to think right now, my mind imagining insane events. I knew that Thor would be slowly going insane in that mind of his as he tried to figure everything out. I don't think he would have ever expected that there was a chance that his daughter just killed an entire town.