Chapter Eighteen

20 years ago...

Jane tapped her foot anxiously as she and her best friend, Darcy, sat in the waiting room of the clean and busy hospital. They were anxiously waiting for the results of the tests that Jane had completed. The tests were supposed to confirm or deny the suspicions that the pair had been grasping for about a month now. It had taken them a while to fully understand and realize the severity of the situation, but as soon as they fully understood the problem, they rushed to book an appointment at the nearest hospital.

Darcy sighed as she got up from her metal seat and started to pace in the slightly crowded room. Jane squeezed her eyes shut, she knew that if Darcy was this tense and nervous, the situation had to be horrible. Thankfully, the pair didn't have to ponder the problem anymore, as a nurse bustled into the room and shouted out " Ms. Foster, " in a bored voice.

Jane and Darcy immediately fast-walked over to the nurse and said in unison " That's me! " and " That's her! " The nurse stared at Jane for a second, and she looked like she was trying to figure something out, then glanced away, as if to indicate that she was giving up. Jane slowly exhaled the breath she had been holding, ever since a reporter had seen her and Thor kiss one time, she had been the center of every tabloid's attention. The reporters would publish numerous stories about her and would follow her wherever she went. It had gotten to a point where she had to hire bodyguards and wear wigs every time she stepped outside. Of-course Darcy loved it! She insisted that she had even made friends with some of the reporters, however, they would always ask her for information about Jane and Thor's love life.

Jane was shaken out of her thoughts when she felt a sharp nudge on her stomach. She abruptly stopped and turned her head to see Darcy giving her a glare. She pointed at the nurse who was talking or well a better word would be, gossiping about the fellow nurses onfloor 10. Suddenly, the nurse stopped in front of the very last door at the end of the hall. She quickly knocked on the door that held a small plaque saying, " Dr. Jackson '' and a smaller plaque underneath, that read " Breast Cancer ".

Soon enough a voice from the inside yelled, " Come in. " Jane took one more deep breath and squared her shoulders, although on the outside she presented a calm woman, on the inside it felt like there were a thousand butterflies in her stomach. The nurse opened the door and walked inside, Darcy gave her a small smile and walked inside, but she was not quick enough to hide the fear in her eyes from her best friend. Jane produced a wobbly smile and slowly marched into the room. She immediately noticed how neat and organized the room was, and how it was the complete opposite of her messy lab. There were a few pictures framed on the pristine white wall, and there were a few chairs placed in front of the desk, in which a middle-aged woman sat. She assumed the woman was Dr. Jackson and her suspicions were confirmed when the woman introduced herself in a kind tone. Jane gave her a bright smile in return and cautiously sat down in one of the chairs, while Darcy plopped herself down on the other. By then, the nurse had walked out of the room and closed the door behind her, as she prepared the next patient.

Dr. Jackson folded her hands together and leaned forward a bit on the desk, a somber look on her face. Jane and Darcy immediately stiffened as they recognized the look and they knew. They knew that whatever came out of the doctor's mouth would only be bad news and that everything would now change. " I'm afraid it's bad news, Ms. Foster, " said Dr. Jackson, her lips firmly pressed together. The only answer she received was a small nod and the silence in the room was so thick that you could cut it with a knife. " You have stage five breast cancer. I'm sorry, " she said, and just like that everything in Jane's life changed.