Chapter 1

20 years later...

I walked up to the door with a frown on my face, as I thought about what had happened last night. My caretaker, Ms. Abbott had really wanted me to read the letter that the person who gave birth to me wrote, no part of me wanted to read the letter. OK! Maybe that's a lie. As cliche as it sounds, a tiny part of me wants to know the answer to the question that has been haunting me since forever. It's a simple question that most likely has a very complex answer, the question is why? Why did my parents abandon me an hour after I was born? What could I have possibly done to deserve that? Suddenly a voice shook me out of my thoughts.

" Hello? Allison? " said my best friend Emma Roberts. 

" Yeah, I'm here. Sorry, I was just thinking about last night, " I sighed when she nodded, I  continued " Do you think I was too harsh on Ms. Abbott? " hoping the answer was no. 

" Maybe, you know she only wants the best for you," She replied in an understanding tone.

" Yeah, I know," I said. Then something shiny got my eye, I walked over to it and picked it up.

" What's this?" I asked her.

" Nothing! Now tell me are you prepared for your first day at work? " Emma questioned me. 

" Yeah, It's not that big of a deal, It's just a coffee shop," I said shrugging my shoulders 

" Yeah, yeah, I know you are excited to work over there," She said smirking at me. I just laughed in response and shook my head with a smile on my lips. Em was right though, even if it didn't look like much working over there was like my dream job. I think it because it truly gave me a sense of normalcy. To put a cherry on the cake, I had also just recently moved to a vacant apartment above the small and cozy cafe. 

" Well, I need to go now, otherwise I'm going to be late," I say while my lips still have a ghost of a smile. 

" Well we don't want that to happen do we, " Em replied with a smirk still on her face.

" Bye Em," I said while chuckling. I vaguely hear a reply as I closed the door, I smiled as I realized that my bad mood was completely gone. Em is just like that, she can make you feel better without even doing anything, it just comes to her naturally.  I started whistling a happy tune as I walk the 2 blocks to my workplace. I felt like things were turning around now, with me getting a new job, a new home, Ms. Abbott settling down, Em opening up her store, and that's when I knew that I didn't need to know about my sperm donor nor the person who gave birth to me. Feeling, even more, happier, and having lightness in my chest, I started to quicken my pace to reach my job on time. Soon enough I see the familiar black and white sign peeking out of the wall, I watch as Martha  ( the coffee shop owner ) hurriedly unlocked the small black lock. 

" Hey Martha, " I called out to her 

" Oh hey, Allison, " she replied turning around with one hand still on the lock. 

" So you excited to start today," Martha asked trying to make small talk while turning the silver key around in the lock. The lock made a clinking sound as it unlocked and Martha turned the door handle. 

" Yeah! You know the usual excitement and nervousness, " I said while following her Inside. 

" Don't worry you'll do great, " she said with a comforting smile and then turns around and sets her red handbag on the counter. 

" Thanks! " I replied with a smile of my own. 

Soon enough we fell into a comforting silence and she taught me how to prepare for the mornings. In the middle Sam, Martha's husband came in and asked how we were doing. He seemed like a good and honest man I thought, while I watched the couple talk. I returned to wiping down glasses for the people who want to complete their beverage inside of the small cafe. As I wiped down the last glass, Martha went and flips the sign so it says open, instead of close. 

" You ready for your first-morning rush," she said raising her eyebrow.

" Born ready," I spoke with a grin on my face. 

" Good. "

 As soon as Martha finishes the word, a jingle rang in my ear, it indicated that someone had just entered the cafe. 

" Hello! Welcome to Cafe Glacier, " I uttered in a cheery and peppy tone, while Martha gave me a thumbs up. 

" Hi! Can I please have a blueberry muffin and a small expresso to go? " the woman replied glancing up at the menu hanging above the counter. 

" Sure," I said as I quickly take a muffin out of the glass case, while Martha prepared the expresso with incredible speed. 

" That will be $9.99," I announced as I hand her the coffee and the baked treat. 

" Here. Thanks " the woman replied handing me a crisp ten-dollar bill. I handed her a penny as the register closed with a snap. She took the penny and places it in the tip jar then hurriedly walks out the door. It feels like as soon as the woman is gone a man in his thirties walked in an arrogant way. I looked at Martha and she mouthed I'll take care of him.  I gave her a big smile and went and checked on the croissants I had placed in the oven around twenty minutes back. 

The rest of my day is mostly like that - I felt completely exhausted as I trudged up the stairs to my small apartment.  I think about the really good salad I ate for lunch, at the small bistro across the street, oh, and don't get me started on the dessert... I was actually drooling when the waiter brought it to my table. Something really alarming had happened today though, when one customer was being really rude it had suddenly started to rain outside. I know rain is really common especially in New York, but it had been really sunny outside before it started pouring. For a second there I had thought I had something to do with it, but I almost laughed about the absurdity of that thought. Besides, it was probably one of those Asgardians, wasn't Thor the god of thunder and lightning? Yeah, it was probably him. I laugh at my absurdity, as I slamed my apartment door shut, and immediately go to my room. I dramatically collapsed on my bed without changing out of the now sweaty clothes I had wore all day long. It had been a long day.