Chapter Thirty-Five: On The DL

As we walked into Sprq Point, Max wore a dejected look on his face. I rubbed his arm as we stepped off the elevator.

"I'm really sorry, Max." I told him honestly. He shrugged. "Come find me if you need to talk about it, ok?"

"Yeah. Thanks, Mary." I nodded, kissing him on the cheek before walking over to my desk. I paused to see that there was a cup of green tea sitting on top of it with a small cluster of Honeysuckle laying on the desk beside it. I shook my head, looking over at the Coder's section to see Leif staring at me with an expectant smile on his face.

'You're a dork'. I mouthed.  He simply smiled before turning back to his desk. I shook my head, picking up the flowers and placing them beside my succulent before walking over to the bullpen just as Zoey was crossing over to her desk. I glanced up as Tobin wheeled back beside Leif's desk and started talking to him.

"Bro," I heard Tobin say, "Its gonna be an open bar. And you know Simon's a top shelf kind of guy."

"Oh, that's right! Simon's engagement part is tonight, isn't it!' I said, having completely forgotten.

"Wait, Simon invited you guys to his engagement party too?" Zoey questioned, coming to stand beside me.

"What, you can't believe Simon would have friends as cool as us?" Leif asked, glancing at me with a smile on his face. I rolled my eyes, looking away from him and smiling at the floor.

"Yeah. That's where my confusion lies." Zoey answered sarcastically. 

"If you must know, we taught Si-Si how to beat Galaga in the game area and we've been tight ever since." Tobin explained.

"Have you ever called him Si-Si to his face?" Zoey asked.

"We are...building to that." Leif replied, bringing his gaze back to me again. "So Mary, I heard you were invited. Are you going tonight?"

"I was planning on-" I was cut off by Joan knocking on Zoey's desk. I immediately moved out of the way, going to stand beside Leif as Tobin rolled back over to his desk. I kept my eyes trained on Joan, trying to ignore the fact that Leif's hand, which had been residing on his desk behind me, had begun tracing shapes on my back.

"People, I keep telling you, I need to hear the next big idea. What have you got for me?" She asked.

"Joan, right here," Tobin said, "I got this 'robot dog that can tell the weather' idea in my back pocket-"

"Ok, keep it in your back pocket." She replied. "I don't get it. How hard can it be to come up with something game-changing, brilliant, and revolutionary. The world is waiting. So am I." She turned, going to head back to her office. "Zoey, Mary, I have another work thing for you two." 

I turned to glance at Leif, who lightly drummed his fingers against my back before I walked away, following Zoey and Joan into her office. As soon as we walked inside, she turned to face us. 

"I lied, its not about work, what are you two doing tonight?" She said.

"Us?" Zoey questioned.

"Yeah." 

"Well, its Simon's engagement party tonight, so..." I trailed off.

"I was planning on going to that, but that is no longer the case." Zoey answered, causing me to furrow my eyebrows at her.

"Ok, yeah, I was invited to that to, but I have no interest in hanging out with a bunch of 20-somethings talking about artisanal beer all night." I shrugged, seeing her point. 

"In our defense, we also talk about nut milk." Zoey pointed out.

"Um, but I do want to do something, since I am celebrating..." She walked behind her desk, picking up a manila envelope, "I just signed my divorce papers this morning. So...its pretty exciting and since you're free, I'll send a car. Mary, I would really appreciate it if you came, since you know how highly I regard you."