Chapter Four: Pure Evil

We went in and sat down on the risers while Joan stood in front of us with a marker board. She picked up the black marker, writing '5 DAYS to LAUNCH' and then grabbed the red one, scribbling two very aggressive exclamation points. She turned to face us, sighing.

"For those of you who don't know, we have recently discovered a bug in the health app that's supposed to launch in five days along with the new Sprq Point Watch."

"What's the bug doing?" Leif asked. It was a simple question, but the question coming out of his mouth just made me want to punch him in the face.

"Its giving inaccurate readings of people's blood pressure, most in the range of 50 over 20." I raised my eyebrows.

"That's low, isn't it?" Max asked.

"Only if should no longer be living is low." Joan said sarcastically. I patted Max's arm. "So, I'm gonna need you guys to text your friends and your Adderall dealers, and all the other entitled millennials you've been chatting with on Slack and tell them you're gonna be in for some late nights. Get to work. Mary, my office please."

I stood up, following her to her office and sitting down across from her.

"What's up?" I asked, crossing my legs. She sighed.

"I talked to Simon," She said, "And he is all for letting you join the team." I smiled.

"That's great! Awesome-"

"But I'm not ready to lose you in Coding." She said. My smile fell. "With this glitch, and the watch release, I really need all hands on deck here, and I was thinking about it, and I don't want to lose you over here completely." I nodded.

"So...I'm not transferring?" I asked. She shook her head.

"After talking to Simon, I came to a decision that might make everybody happy." I nodded. "I am creating a new position for you: Technological-Marketing Relations Manager."

"What does that mean exactly?" I asked.

"You are the connection between the two teams," She said. "You work with the coders to make sure the tech works with the design, and vice versa, you talk to the designers about what the coding team can and can't do. That way, we still having you in coding, and we can pull you in for either team at any given moment. We'd be utilizing all of your skills instead of just one or the other. Is that something that you would be happy with?"

"yes, I think that's perfect. You really didn't have to create an entirely new position for me, I would've been fine anywhere." She nodded.

"I know, but...I see a lot of myself in you." She said. "You're a strong woman and you're going places. I want to do what I can to see that that happens. " I smiled. "Now get out of here, I need you on that glitch."

"Yes, ma'am." 

~~~

We spent the entire day looking into the glitch, and came up with nothing. The work day ended and people slowly began to trickle out.

"Well, I'm heading out." I heard Max say, causing me to turn around and look at him. He was standing in the space between Zoey's desk and mine, looking at both of us. "You guys coming?"

"I think I'm gonna stay, keep working on this." I said. "Zo?" She nodded in agreement.

"Ok. See you guys tomorrow."

"Yeah, see ya." I turned around, scrolling through the code again.

"You know, you don't have to stay." Leif said, causing me to look over at him. "I'm sure Zoey and I can get this figured out if you want to go home." I smiled sarcastically.