Chapter Thirty-One: The Real Leif Donnelly

"Ok, so I just have to grab a few things and then I'll be over there as soon as I can." I said, my phone held between my ear and my shoulder as I unlocked our apartment door.

"Ok. Just don't take too long. We've waited for this for a long time and I really don't want to wait anymore."

"Neither do I. I'll be fast, I promise. See you in a bit." I hung up, ignoring Zoey's smirk.

"Where are you going?" She asked, he smirk evident in her voice.

"To hang out with Leif." I said in a sing song voice, heading to my room. I didn't know what was going to happen, so I thought It would be smart to pack an overnight bag just in case I end up being too tired to drive home because we have a lot to talk about. I packed some pajamas, clothes for the next day and some toiletries before making my way out into the living room again. "So what are your plans for the night?"

"Takeout and Mo is making me do a face mask."I nodded.

"Skincare is important...and something you definitely need." Her jaw dropped and I smiled when someone pounded on the door.

"Zoey its me!" A voice called. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Is that David?" I asked. Instead of answering she walked over to the door, opening it so David could come waltzing in. 

"Hey, so why did you tell Emily about my fears about having a baby when I specifically asked you not to?" He asked.

"Oh no." I whispered.

"I didn't mean to, but she asked me what was going on with you and I tried to tell her it was between the two of you, and that it wasn't a big deal, but she is very persuasive and pregnant, and emot-"

"Its a very big deal, ok? When Emily and I got married, she did not want to have kids, like-at all. I had to talk her into it. And I promised her that I would be 100% committed to our children but now that you have casually revealed my deepest fears she is completely freaked out and terrified that I am not all in." He said.

"I should go..." I started.

"David, I had no idea."

"Of course not! You have no idea because you're not a part of our marriage, you don't know everything that's going on in our heads, Zoey! Look, all I wanted was for Emily to experience a pregnancy with zero negativity, that is all, that's all I wanted but you have just made that completely impossible."

"I was just trying to help." Zoey said.

"Oh yeah? And you telling her where I actually am instead of coming home at night? That was you helping too?"

"Well keep in mind, she wouldn't have told her anything if your wife knew what was going on with you because you told her yourself." I said. He looked at me.

"This is none of your business-"

"I know that, David. I know its none of my business, but I'm just saying, maybe Zoey is not solely to blame for your problems and that you should take it easy." I said.

"Ok, whatever. Look, you know, since you've always been so results-oriented I'm just gonna put it into words that you can understand, ok? Whatever it is you thought you were doing to try to help me, or help us, you totally failed. And you, and your friends," He gestured to me, "should learn to stay out of things that don't concern you." He walked out, slamming the door behind him. I turned to Zoey.

"I am so sorry...I did it again, I shouldn't have said anything..." She shook her head.

"No, this...this is my fault. You were just defending me." I sighed.