Chapter Three: What Is Wrong With You?

We went back to the apartment and Zoey panicked ran up the stairs.

"Are you gonna tell me what happened back there or are you just going to keep dragging me around San Francisco?" I asked as she pulled me into the apartment and shut the door, hurriedly locking it. She threw her purse down, leaning back against the door and panting. "Zoey?! What happened!? What did you see?!'

"I don't know, I really don't know, something really weird is happening to me." She said. I nodded.

"Ok, we're going back to the hospital." I went to open the door when I heard Mo singing.

"Lean on me, when you're not strong, and I'll be your friend. I'll help you carry on." She turned around, unlocking the door and going across the hall, pounding on Mo's door. Mo opened the door, continuing to sing and holding up a hand to tell Zoey to wait for him to finish. "For, it won't be long, till I'm gonna need, somebody to lean on." She gestured for Zoey to go.

"Why are you singing right now?" She asked, causing me to furrow my eyebrows.

"Because I love that song, and it feels good to sing it."

"So you weren't just singing that to me specifically?"

"What?" I asked.

"Why would I be singing to you? You don't even like me."

"That's never been officially documented." Zoey stated. mo looked at me, and I shrugged.

"Is she ok? Does she need some-"

"Ah!" Zoey held up a hand. "Don't say the world 'Help', I'm begging you." She then walked into Mo's apartment. Mo looked at me again and I threw up my hands, coming in too.

"Please, come on in," Mo said sarcastically, "Can I get you anything? Water? Vodka? Xanax?" She walked into the kitchen, going about her business again.

"Ok, maybe I do need help, because I think I'm going crazy."

"Yeah, no kidding." I said, causing them both to look at me. "She just had an MRI during that earth quake and flipped out on me int he middle of the street.

"Did you wanna tell me about it?"

"People are singing to me, Mo. An entire neighborhood just sang a whole Beatles song to me."

"No, they didn't, nobody sang anything to you." I told her.

"Quick question, did you recently imbibe or ingest anything that came from a 'medicinal' type shop?" Mo questioned.

"No, all I know is that one second I'm getting an MRI, and the next second-"

"Complete strangers are singing John Lennon to you, but nobody can hear them but you."

"Some to me, some to themselves, almost as if they were singing what they were all thinking out loud, collectively, as a people." Zoey stated, causing me to raise my eyebrows. She clasped her hand in an awkward motion. "Does that make sense?"

"Oh my gosh, my best friend has lost it." I muttered.

"No," Mo answered, "but I'm an open-minded person, I'm willing to roll with this."

"That seems like a bad idea." I stated. "I don't think normalizing her delusions, clearly caused by an MRI malfunction is really the way to go here."

"Maybe you're operating on a higher plane than the rest of us." Mo said, ignoring me and carrying a crate into her living room, Zoey trailing after her, leaving me no choice but to follow too. "Maybe you're getting a special glimpse into other people's heads."