Chapter Seventeen: Elevator

~~~Zoey~~~

I was sitting on the couch with my laptop in my lap when Mary came back from her night out with Leif and Tobin. She was smiling, causing me to raise my eyebrows at her.

"What?" She asked, clearly anticipating what my look was for.

"What?!" I exclaimed. "I should be asking you that question, what's that look on your face?!"

"There's not a look!" She denied, putting her purse down and making a break for her room.

"There's definitely a look!" She went into her room and shut the door behind her. I chuckled, shaking my head and looking back down at my laptop when suddenly I heard muffled music coming from behind the door. I sighed, closing my laptop and pushing it aside. "Here we go."

Her door opened and she came out, now in her pajamas again. She leaned against the wall dramatically putting her hands over her heart.

"I was a fool to ever leave your side. Me minus you is such a lonely ride. The breakup we had has made me lonesome and sad. I realize I love you 'cause I want you bad, hey, hey. I spent the evening with the radio. Regret the moment that I let you go.Our quarrel was such a way of learnin' so much. I know now that I love you 'cause I need your touch, hey, hey." I scrunched my nose in disgust at the idea of anyone needing Leif's touch. She moved away from the wall, twirling before sitting down gracefully in a chair and crossing her legs in a way that almost seemed like dancing. Then she began swaying back and forth to the music. "Reunited and it feels so good. Reunited 'cause we understood. There's one perfect fit,And, sugar, this one is it.We both are so excited 'cause we're reunited, hey, hey."

The music faded out, and Mary was left sitting there across from me with furrowed eyebrows. She sighed.

~~~Mary~~~

"I was singing, wasn't I?" I asked, slumping in my chair. She nodded, and I sighed. "Great. Its good to know that none of my emotions are private anymore."

"Believe me, if I could stop hearing them, I would." She said.

"Go on, tell me what I'm feeling." I said, gesturing towards her.

"Well, it was very dramatic, a slow, romantic ballad, probably from the seventies or eighties." I cringed, pinching the bridge of my nose. "I think the gist of it was that you're happy you were reunited with Leif, you regretted pushing him away in the first place, and being separated from him made you realize that you love him."

"Ok, no, no." I said. "The reunited part, yes that's true, but I don't love him, unless it means in a purely friendly way."

"You said 'I know I love you 'Cause I need your touch'." She pointed out. I groaned, putting my hands over my face. "I just...you remember what he sang to me, right? I just want to make sure that you remember that you were right about him." I sighed.

"Yeah...I was, but...I don't know, it wasn't exactly what I thought it was."

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"Well, both him and Tobin told me that the reason he said what he said back then was because not only am I good at my job, I'm also a woman who Joan likes and that was intimidating to him. It made him feel insecure and he apologized for that."

"And you think he's being genuine?" She asked. I nodded.

"I've come to know when he's faking." I said. "This was legit. He's actually sorry." She smiled.

"Well in that case...carry on, then." I chuckled.

"But you're right though, I still need to be careful. I trusted him last time and that ended badly for me so I need to...take this one slow." She nodded.