Chapter Six: I Hate You, I Love You

~~~Mary~~~

For whatever reason, Zoey avoided me the rest of the day. She wouldn't tell me what happened, or what Leif sang, so I take it whatever it was she already knew how I would react.

She probably just doesn't want to admit I'm right and that he's secretly a conniving douche-bag. She even left earlier than usual, meaning, much to my dismay, I was alone in the bull-pen with Leif.

I sighed, tossing my pen down and running a hand over my face.

"Anything?" He asked, glancing over at me. I leaned back in my chair, crossing my arms and just looking at him but not bothering to respond. "Ok, come on. I just asked you a question." I sighed, looking back at the computer.

"No. I've got nothing. I thought I had something, I chased that lead for two hours and...nothing." I looked back at him. "You?" He shook his head, taking his glasses off and setting them down on his desk.

"I can't find anything, which doesn't make sense. How can there be a problem if there's no evidence of it anywhere in the software or the firmware?" I shook my head.

"No idea." I said. "We're all gonna get fired, aren't we?" He chuckled, and I surprised myself by smiling. "See? We are capable of having a civilized conversation."

"Ok, don't get too excited, Parsnip. I still don't like you." I turned back to my laptop.

"I figured." I sighed again, biting my lip.

"You know what, I'm not getting anywhere. I'm headed out. Goodnight Gaura Lindheimeri." He furrowed his eyebrows. "Its a little pinkish, whitish flower, native to Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma-You know what, never mind?"

"Do you just leave here, go home and research plants just so you can make fun of me?" He asked.

"Please. You give yourself too much credit. I would never waste my precious time on anything related to you, even if it was a contributing factor to your irritation." I said, grabbing my stuff and walking towards the elevator. I stepped inside, waiting for the doors to close before smiling to myself. I actually had a good conversation with Leif...and I didn't hate it.

Oh my gosh, what am I doing?!

~~~

I got home, changed into my Pajamas and then sat on the couch, eagerly waiting for Zoey to come home so I could ask her what misogynistic song Leif sang that would remind me just why I can't stand the guy. She came in, smiling, seemingly in a pretty good mood until she saw me sitting on the couch. Then her smile fell.

"You've been avoiding me," I pointed out, "I know there's a reason. I know Leif sang to you today. I want to know what he sang."

"I thought I was suffering from severe brain damage." She said, taking her jacket off. I shrugged.

"Its possible...but I'll admit that whatever happened with Simon was kind of weird and I'm willing to entertain the possibility...for now." She sighed, sitting beside me on the couch. "What happened?"

"Well...you were right." She said. "While he was giving me his 'supportive' speech, him, Tobin, and the other guys on the team were singing 'All I Do Is Win' at me." I nodded.

"I knew it! See, I told you, I told you he's not as nice as he pretends to be! I knew-"

"I wouldn't get too excited just yet." She said. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Why not?" She sighed, pushing her hair out of her face.

"Because...the minute he finished his song...you sang one...to both of us."