Chapter Twenty-Nine: Lying

I tried numerous times to talk to Leif, but he always either ducked into the men's bathroom, knowing I couldn't follow him, or just flat out hid to avoid seeing me in the first place. By lunch time I was sitting at my desk with my head in my hands feeling extremely confused. I saw a shadow appear in front of my desk and glanced up to see Tobin standing in front of my desk with his arms crossed, a stern look on his face.

"I thought you said I could trust you with him." He said.

"You can!" I exclaimed, standing up and leaning over the desk. "I didn't write that review! I would never do that, and it kills me to think that Leif thinks I would." I sat back down again, chewing absently on my nails. He came over, leaning against my desk on my side facing behind me.

"Well you have to understand why he might think you did. It does sound just like you."

"But that was before!" I said. "Yeah, I'll admit, Leif does have those tendencies, but they aren't directed at me anymore. I've gotten to see who Leif really is and I was really starting to like him, and now its all ruined because of something that someone else said!"

"Ok, ok, slow down. Relax, Mare." He said, putting a hand on my shoulder. "I'll try and talk to him. You should too."

"i've been trying to talk to him all day. He has no interest in talking to me. The notion that I would never do that is impossible to him." I stated, looking up at Tobin. "Have I really left that terrible of an impression?" He shook his head.

"No. I don't think you would do that." I Nodded.

"Thank you."

"Worst comes to worst, we'll trick him into meeting with you." I raised my eyebrows.

"Really, you would do that?" I asked. He nodded.

"I'm not gonna let my best friend miss out on potentially the best thing that's ever happened to him because of a misunderstanding." I smiled, standing up and throwing my arms around his neck, hugging him.

"Thank you, Tobin." I looked up as I was hugging him, and quickly pulled away when I saw Leif watching us for a little ways away.

"It wasn't enough for you to trick me, but now you're tricking my friends too?" He asked.

"Leif, if you would just listen to me-" I started towards him, but he stepped back.

"No, I'm done listening to you. You got me, you win, end of story." He went to walk away but I grabbed his arm, pulling him to face me.

"Leif, please," I said, my voice wavering, "You have to believe me, I didn't write that review-"

"How can I!?" He exclaimed, pulling his arm out of my grasp. "Those are your words Mary!"

"No they're not!" 

"Why are you still lying to me?! Did your little revenge plot fall in!? Did you end up actually liking me, did your scheme to hurt me like I hurt you backfire-"

"Hey!" We both looked up from our heated argument, now seeing that the entire coding section was watching us. Max was now standing beside us. 

"Max-" I started.

"If my sister is telling you that she didn't write that review, she didn't write that review." He said. "She's one of the most honest people I have ever met, and that should be evident of the fact that she's spent the last four years insulting you. Why would she stop insulting you just so she could insult you anonymously? That's stupid, and Mary is not and you of all people should know that." I turned to Leif to gauge his reaction.