Chapter Forty: The Truth Comes Out

Max and I headed back to SPRQ Point and as soon as we got there, he headed straight for Zoey, who was sitting in one of the spinning chairs with her back facing the door.

He spun her chair around, causing her to look up from her tablet with her headphones over her ears.

"Hi!" She greeted.

"Hi," He whispered back, "are you seriously hiding from me?"

"No! I work in here all the time. Jamming on code, listening to tunes." She took her headphones off and Max took them from her hand, putting them on and listening to it.

"This is a podcast on the Golden State Killer." He pointed out, handing them back to her.

"I listen to true crime to calm myself, uh..."She put her stuff aside in the chair and stood up in front of him, "I'm sorry I just ran away. That was an amazing gesture."

"So amazing that it instantly repelled you from me?" He asked. " 'Cause I really did put myself out there Zo, and I'd appreciate it if you could do or say something in return."

"Look, we both know, I am not good with feelings and emotions, and this is just a lot for me to handle right-"

"Ok, but you can't just leave me hanging," He said hurried, "I really don't get you lately. I mean, you've been acting weird for months now. One minute you're here, the next minute you drift off into this-this Zoey Land and I can't figure out what the heck's going on in your head anymore. Is this all 'cause of your dad?"

"Max-" I started, stepping towards them.

"No. Its not just my dad."

"Then what is it, just tell me, I can handle it." 

"Its not that I don't want to have that conversation, its that I can't, really." She said in frustration.

"Zoey, I just told you I loved you." My eyes widened at the strong phrasing of the words. I knew he had a crush on her, obviously, I knew he was in love with her but...love? He loves her? "I literally just sang my heart out in front of a mall-"

"I have a superpower! Ok?!" My jaw dropped and I clasped my hands over my mouth in shock at what just came out of her mouth. 

"Ok, forget it. You could've just told me you weren't interested, that probably would've hurt-"

"I'm serious." She interrupted.  "I hear people's inner thoughts. They sing them to me, constantly. That's why I'm off in Zoey Land. I'm not who you think I am, I am a mutant. I am the X-men meets the Voice. Now do you understand?"

"I'm sorry what?!"He turned to look at me, his eyebrows furrowing at my expression, "Is she serious right now?" He questioned. I pulled my hands down, slowly nodding my head.

"Yeah...she is. She's telling the truth." I said.

"Mary!" We all looked up to see Leif standing in the conference room doorway, his tablet in his hand. "Do you have a minute? I have some Chirp Specs I want to run past you." I turned to face them again.

"Ok um...look, why don't you guys talk, Zoey can explain everything and then we'll catch up later if you have any questions," I said, putting a hand on his arm, "I'm sorry, I wish I could be of more help but with the whole Chirp thing, and Joan being so excited-"

"Its cool, we get it," Zoey said, "Go back to work. We'll call if we need you." I nodded, squeezing Max's arm before walking over to where Leif was standing. He furrowed his eyebrows at me once I reached him.

"That looked serious. Is everything ok?" I glanced their direction again to see Zoey pulling Max towards the game area. I nodded, meeting his eyes again.

"Yeah, just...the usual Max and Zoey relationship drama." I led the way into the conference room, sitting down in one of the chairs. He leaned against the table beside me.

"Why are you so involved in their 'drama'?" He asked. "Isn't that something that should be between them?"

"Yeah, well like I said, Zoey's my best friend. And Max is my twin, you know? They both like to come to me for advice. Does Tobin not ask your input when it comes to his relationships?"

"I mean, I guess he would, if Tobin ever had a relationship." He stated. I nodded, gesturing to him.

"See? Its like that. " I shrugged.

"Yeah, I guess. I don't know, it just kind of seems that all of your friends rely on you like...a lot. Do they have your back as much as you have theirs?"

"What?" I asked. "Of course they do. I know with one hundred percent certainty, that if I ever needed anything, they'd be there for me in a heartbeat." He nodded.

"Ok. As long as you're sure." He answered. "Ok, so this is what I wanted to show you..."

~~~

The work day ticked by, and before we knew it, night had fallen and everyone else was leaving for the day. Meanwhile, Leif and I were still holed up in the conference room working on the Chirp, and I was trying desperately to focus, but i kept looking up and glancing at Max and Zoey. 

I heard Leif sigh and I tore my eyes away from them to find him watching me from his seat beside me.

"Ok, I'm sorry. I'll focus, I'm...focusing." He took his glasses off of his face and leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest. 

"Go talk to them. Its clearly bothering you." I shook my head.

"No, nope I am committed to this project and what we are working on. I trust that they can...figure this out on their own." I averted my eyes back to the files in front of me.

"That wasn't even a little bit convincing." I sighed in defeat. "Go on. I'll handle this."

"No! No, I'm not going to-" My words were cut off by his hand grabbing my chin, turning me to face him so that he could press his lips against mine. My eyes widened in surprise at the sudden move, but it only lasted for a second as my eyes fluttered closed and I kissed him back. He slid his other hand up my leg, letting it rest on my thigh as he pulled away from the brief and yet breath-taking exchange. "Wha...what was-"

"That was me telling you to go and help your friends. I will hold down the fort here." I smiled, leaning in and kissing him again.

"You are the best boyfriend on the planet! I promise I will make this up to you."

"Yeah, yeah." He waved a hand dismissively, but smiled to let me know he wasn't serious. I stood up, grabbing his face and pressing my lips to the top of his head before rushing out of the conference room and over to Max and Zoey.

"Ok, fill me in, what did I miss?" I questioned.

"He doesn't believe me. We're going to talk to Mo." Zoey stated.

"So wait, you seriously believe this?" Max inquired. I nodded, grabbing my stuff from my desk as we passed it.  "You're kidding me."

"I'm not. Trust me, I had my doubts at first too. I spent the first month or so trying to convince her to go back to the hospital to deal with her brain damage." I explained. "Mo will back us up on that too."