Chapter Twenty-Five: The Great Pretender

I tied my hair up in a half ponytail, my eyes widening as a flame burst from our stove top. 

"let there be light." Mo stated, kneeled on the floor in front of it in a fabulous, Rosie the Riveter esque outfit. "I can't believe you waited three months to tell me about this."

"I made suggestions. She refused." I pointed out, gesturing to Zoey.

"In my defense, its not like you and I have always had the best tenant-slash-building-manager relationship."

"Your first week here you said 'Ma'am, will you help me hang my shower drapes?'. I don't know which to be offended by more, you calling me 'ma'am' or you calling them 'shower drapes'."

"What would you call them?" Zoey questioned, pulling a yellow raincoat on over her green sweater.

"Curtains, Zoey." I said.

"They're curtains." Mo agreed. "You need a new part, I'll hit up the hardware store right after I get my manicure." He went to leave, attempting to pick up the tool box but stalling as it didn't go anywhere. He came back, picking it up with both hands.

"My gosh, is this job really worth the cheaper rent?" Mo asked.

We all three made our way downstairs, Zoey leading the way with her eyes glued to her phone. She laughed.

"What are you giggling at?" Mo questioned.

"Simon and I are helping each other make Me-mojis. Does that really look like me?" I peered over her shoulder, laughing once I saw it.

"That's spot on." I pointed out.

"All I see is a single lady texting an engaged man before Nine AM." Mo added. I raised my eyebrows.

"I mean...you've got a point."

"This is just innocent fun."

"Said no innocent person ever."

"I can see your side eye." Zoey said.

"Good." Mo shot back, emptying one of the mailboxes and walking over to apartment 2, knocking on the door. "Morning, Bonnie." He said, sliding the mail under the door.

"Wait, someone actually lives there?" Zoey asked. "I've been in this building for two years and I've never seen anyone go in or out."

"Well you wouldn't," I told her, "Bonnie's agoraphobic."

"So I deliver her mail, and ocassionally read to her through her door."

"She likes me to sing to her from time to time." I threw in.

"I don't know about Mary, but I've never heard a peep. But its probably good practice for when I finally record my audiobook."

"Poor Bonnie." Mo walked back towards the mailbox, and Zoey and I trailed after her. "She must be so lonely. Can you imagine living your life like that?"

"I can't imagine hiding myself from the world. I'm a Leo baby. Brave, bold, beautiful!"  He walked back into the supply closet.

"And I'm...whatever a Capricorn is." I shrugged and Zoey sighed. "But Mary, you're like that too, you're so comfortable being yourself. Its too bad we can't all be like you two."

~~~Zoey~~~

A song began playing from the supply closet, and I quickly realized that I was in the process of hearing Mo's very first heart song.

"Oh yes, I'm the great pretender." Mo walked out, carrying a crate, and Mary, who by now had picked up on the signs that I was hearing a song, glanced at me every so often. "Pretending that I'm doing well." He grabbed a lightbulb, walking over and looking at his reflection in the mirror. "My need is such. I pretend too much. I'm lonely but no one can tell. Oh yes, I'm the great pretender. Adrift in a world of my own. I've played the game, but to my real shame, you've left me to dream all alone."