Chapter Forty-Six: I Want You To Want Me

"Why are you smiling, huh?" Joan asked, specifically referring to Max, "This is not a happy day. This is not a happy day where you smile like your birthday or your wedding day. Not my wedding day, but most peoples!" 

"Ok yes, I will admit I'm in a good mood, but its for completely unrelated reasons." 

"Why in the world would the three of you go rogue like that in front of Danny Michael Davis?" Joan questioned." He just texted me saying he needs space to think things through. That's what I say when I'm about to fire somebody."

"Look, this...this is my fault." I said, stepping forward. "I thought that we needed an out-of-the-box back up plan, just in case Danny Michael Davis wasn't receptive to our presentation. It was my idea, Zoey and Max just went along with it, so if you're gonna fire someone...fire me."

"Mary-" Zoey started.

"Its fine, Zo," I said, turning around to look at her. "You don't have to lie for me, this is...this is my responsibility."  

"I don't know if I can ever trust you guys again," She continued, "And now, you have me raising my voice! You have me raising my voice like I am a mom at a Target who's telling the kids we don't have time to look at the toys, and that's not who I am! I've never even been to Target."

"Hey guys." We all looked up to see Tobin entering the office. "Hey Zoey, we got a situation with the SPRQ Watch. I don't want to say what it is in front of Joan."

"All of you get out, fix it, fix it."

We all jumped into action,  following Tobin out of the office.

"Ok, so here's the dillio, we fixed all of the holiday switcheroos on the watch."

"That's good!" Zoey said.

"Yeah, but now there are these 'reports' of the watch sharing Calander events with everyone on your contact list. For example, I can see on my watch that Max has an appointment on Saturday for something called 'Judo with Sensei Don'." 

"I'm honestly lucky he fit me in." Max commented. 

"Ok, this is getting worse by the second, please get it under control ASAP. Max, can you help?" Zoey asked.

"Yes, whatever you need me to do, I'm yours." Max said. She laughed half-heartedly grabbing my arm and pulling me away from them.

"Mary, what the heck was that in there?" She asked. "You were fully prepared to get fired for something that was 100% my fault. I ruined your presentation, and you were going to go down for it! Why would you do that?!"

"Because I know how much this job means to you and to Max?" I asked. "I mean, me? Come on, I'll be fine anywhere, I'll figure it out, but you guys adore this place. I couldn't sit back and watch you get fired over something that you can't control." 

"Oh my gosh, you are a really, really good friend, and I'm feeling worse by the second, because there's something I really need to talk to you about-" She was cut off by the sound of her phone buzzing on her desk. She walked over to it, picking it up and looking at it. She sighed, hitting a button and making a break for the meditation room. I furrowed my eyebrows, pushing my hair back out of my face and making my way back towards Max.

"Hey." I looked up, my path averted by Leif coming over to stand in front of me. 

"Hey, is today insane or what?" I asked. He furrowed his eyebrows, pointing his thumb back towards Joan's office. 

"What was that?"

"I'm gonna need you to be a little more specific? I'm getting that question a lot today."