Chapter 3: Genisis

I stood atop the small hill that overlooked the training camp, panting slightly with my hands on my hips, my black hair swaying slightly before my eyes in the breeze. I removed the large bag from my back and dropped it carelessly to the ground, before turning my gaze to the bottom of the hill, where the rookies were beginning to climb, all wearing similar bags on their backs and panting and sweating heavily. The bags were worth 2 times our own full bodywieght and were used for boosting endurance, stamina, speed and leg and muscle strength.

They had us do all kinds of training here, all with the aim of improving our battle sense and direction. Runs such as these to improve our stamina and endurance, marksmanship with different weaponry, sparring to improve our hand to hand combat as well as playing strategic games such as chess, drafts or team battles to improve our tactical decission making.

All with the aim of creating powerful entities to fight for the Marleyan people.

It was nearing dusk now and the sky was turning a beautiful red and purple with a chilling bite setting in the air as the rest of the rookies managed to get to the top of the hill, all out of breathe and scattered on their backs, all dreanched in sweat.

"How..(gasp)...how do you do this....(gasp)... so effortlessly" Porco managed to say through deep and raspy breaths, looking up at me through one eye with the other one squinting in pain, possibly from a stitch.

"I did this for a year before you all joined" I replied with a small smile, before making my way over to Marcel, who was sprawled out on his back, one arm covering his eyes.

I gave him a gentle kick in the stomach, to which he winced.

"You alright Marco?" I jokingly said. He smiled at the nickname.

"Do I..(gasp) .. look.. alright?" He managed to say, before giving a pained laugh. I smiled and helped him to his feet, before turning and picking back up the bag. "Come on, we should go put these away" I said as I began walking down the hill.

Bertholdt, Marcel, Zeke and Pieck followed, while Annie kicked Reiner in the side to get him up quicker.

"I wonder when we will be selected for our titans" Bertholdt said, gazing up at the sky while still panting.

"I think I heard them say selections will be made in the next few months" Marcel replied with a grin, strolling alongside me.

"Who here does everyone think will inherrit what titan?" Pieck said as she walked on my other side.

"Well, I think Zeke is first, and then we would have Marcel, Annie, Bertholdt, Pieck, Porco and then Reiner" I commented, not breaking my gaze from the heavens.

"I agree. Marcel and Zeke are the current best candidates we have, meaning they will be first in line" Porco added.

"Meaning Zeke or Marco could inherrit the God of Destruction" I added as Reiner hurridly joined us, along with Annie.

"I dont know" Zeke replied, facing downward with a  frown on his face.

"Hoping I dont end up with the Cart though" Marcel said, which got a chuckle out of us all, including me.

Marcel was a good guy and was, along with the rest if the warriors, one of the few people I trusted. While I had built up a strong relationship with the rest of the individual candidates, Marcel and I were probably the closest. We shared the small bunk bed room I used to sleep in alone and, over time, we grew to be friends. We played guitar, read, eat and trained together. All of us would hang out together sometimes too after training.

"Time will only tell" I said quietly, smiling up at the now diming sky.
Actually Y/N, that reminds me" Annie said, with the same bored look on her face. I raised my eyebrow, beckoning her to continue.
"How many years do you have left as the War Hammer?"