Chapter 22: Destruction

"Hmm.... A lovely day" I said, as myself, Annie, Reiner and Bertoldt made our way through packed streets. We were walking through Trost district wearing our trainee uniforms as I headed to the wall for maintenance and patrol. We had graduated 2 days prior and were stationed here for the time being.

I tilted my head back as I walked, soaking in the sun. It was pleasant, warm. I looked to my left at Annie and Reiner, both walking with their heads lowered and scowling. Not in a good mood today, were they?

"What's wrong, you two?" I said, turning and walking backwards so I could face them. "Don't tell me you are getting cold feet now".

"Of course, not" Annie replied sternly, looking up but avoiding eye contact with me. "We have a mission to complete, let's get it over with".

I smiled at her, before turning my gaze to Reiner, who was no longer burning a hole in the stone road but, instead looking over to his right. I followed his gaze and saw Bertoldt wearing a concerned expression, his index and middle finger tapping on his ODM gear in an unmatched rhythm.

I gave a small smile, narrowing my eyes slightly. I stopped walking, causing Bertoldt to bump into me, knocking him out of his trance. He took a small step back, looking up at me in surprise. Reiner and Annie had both stopped walking a few steps away, looking back with slight confusion.

"You are thinking too much Bertoldt" I said, walking forward and placing a hand on his shoulder. He looked down at it in surprise before looking back up at me. He quietly gulped.

"I know, it's just...it never gets any easier" he said, looking down. "What if they catch me after I transform back? What if they see me before or during my transformation? Then you all will- "

"Too many 'what ifs' cloud your vision. You need clear focus and a resolute will if you are going to carry out what needs to be done" I said gently, placing my other hand on his other shoulder, gripping it tightly.

"You are going to be all right. All of us. We will go home and see our families soon" I said comfortingly.

"Just breathe"

Bertoldt took a second before steeling himself, straightening back up and squaring his shoulders. I gave his arm a light pat before letting go, facing up at him for a moment.

"Now go. Destroy it" I said, before turning back and walking towards Reiner and Annie. They both looked back as Bertoldt took a different road away, heading for the interior walls.

"What did you say to him?" Reiner said as we resumed walking, him on my left, Annie on my right.

"Words of encouragement" I said as we entered a busier street. A crowd of people lined the sides of it as men and women on horseback and in green coats moved past us, heading for the open gates of Trost to make their way into Titan country. These were the infamous Survey Corps, the ones Eren was constantly bursting blood vessels screaming about.

The three of us stood to the side for a moment, watching before a loud cheer erupted from the already chatty crowd. A tall man with neatly combed blonde hair rode past, an air of authority and civility surrounding him as he rode, paying no heed to the crowd that surrounded him. On his right, a brunette woman wearing glasses followed, a smile on her face with bright eyes looking around. And, on his left, a short man with neatly combed hair that parted either side of his face. With narrowed eyes, he rode with an annoyed look on his face.

I narrowed my own eyes at this. Those were the eyes of a soldier. A killer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------