Chapter 14: So...you both are watching?

Time seemed to slow for a minute and yet...I was no longer conjoined with it. I watched the abominations hand reaching out toward me, the pale-yellow skin stretching across the palm of its hand as the fingers widened, the smell of putrid rot emitting from it. I still laid on my back, my arms limp at my sides and my legs immobile. I looked it in its sunken and dead eyes through the gaps of its deformed and clenched fingers. For a few moments, it felt as though this were it. After everything I had promised myself, my comrades in Marley, my ancestors. It felt as though I could just let things end here. Who knows, maybe it would kill a lot of pain in the future. Maybe....I could pass on the title of War Hammer to another.

Let this responsibility go.

Let someone else shoulder this burden, while I sleep peacefully.

Pass it on.

Pass it on...to another.

Another...

My eyes shot open. If felt a burning in my chest. In my head. In my eyes. And a burning in my back. From this heat, energy and a strength emerged. I opened my right palm, slowly, flexed my fingers, and clenched my hand in a fist.

Millions of spikes shot upwards from the stone and earth around me around me, all varying size, circumference, and sharpness, whistling past my ears as they impaled the titan's hand, slicing and forcing their way through the skin and bones, tearing apart muscles and continuing up the length of its arm, before bursting their way out of the shoulder and back. Blood spilled down from the titan's wounds, landing on me, drenching my hair and upper body.

The beast above me roared in pain, attempting to retract its arm, however, I saw this coming and forced the spikes to produce downward curving spines, spines that forced their way out of the arm, latching on to the titan.

It continued trying to pull its arms free as I began to stand up, placing the palm of my left hand against the warm stone, forcing myself up to one knee, my right hand clenched as hard as I could, glaring up at the creature. I felt...strong. It was an odd sensation, one that was...new...to me. I had a solidness in my chest, strength in my grip, and felt the hatred and pain oozing from the pupils of my eyes. As I looked up at the creature, howling in pain and anger....I no longer felt afraid. It just seemed to...vanish. Instead, I felt.... exhilarated. Happy. And pitiful.

All of the guilt. All the pain. All the sadness. It just.....vanished. This is exhilerating!

'You poor creature....' I said in a low tone, maintaining eye contact with the beast. I saw rips and tears beginning to form just below its shoulder, the skin growing redder and the tearing as the creature now began to attempt to reach for me with its other hand. However, the idiotic brute ended up putting its already impaled arm under more strain, with a series of popping and cracking sounds to be heard, along with tears widening. And, in seeing this, I grew happy...uncomfortably happy.

I started to laugh as the creature once more screamed in pain, finally beginning to try and pull away from me, trying to retract its arm without success. The laughter grew into hysterics as I looked up at the creature once more.

If titans were capable of fear, then I was sure I saw it there. The widening of the eyes, the way the facial features curled upwards, the look in its dilated eyes. I laughed even harder, a mix between a scream and a howl as I released my grip suddenly and quickly, splaying my fingers outward, causing the downward extensions from the spikes to grow suddenly outwards, tearing the titan apart, ripping through its body, its legs, its neck, head, all in several places at once, before changing directions and speeding upwards, bursting through the neck and head all at once, finally putting the creature out of its misery and causing its body to limply fall forward into the implements.