Chapter 19: Impression

You know, I have a theory. Something that I've thought in my spare time on more than one occasion, and that is just how bendable is the fabric of reality?

Everything has a point we call the center, the middle. Whether this be the middle of a circle, or the center point of nation. This can be deduced mathematically but can also be described from the standpoint of a human's point of view, be it physical or psychological.

To us, death is inconceivable. It's almost hard to believe we will die one day, and yet, it is such a big part of who we are. We view ourselves as this center, the middle point of our very existence, its just how our brain works. We can also view our goals, our dreams, our hopes and our losses as our centre points, the thing that bears most in our minds

'Having said that-' I thought, as I ran through the pouring rain and thunder, the splash of boots against the mud echoed from the large group around me. It was a cold and grilling day, with Shadis having us run laps around the perimeter of the large forest surrounding our camp. We all carried heavy equipment on our backs, such as camping gear, medical supplies, and a few rocks for good measure, not too unlike the training we received back in Marley.

My thought was cut off when Shadis slowed his horse to sink with Armin Arlert at the back of the group, struggling to keep up. The boy was without a doubt gifted with intelligence, but he would need to quicken his pace if he didn't want to face Shadis's wrath. I looked back from my position for a moment, rain falling in a stream from the tip of my hood.

I considered dropping back a few paces, but Reiner beat me to it. After Shadis moved up front, Reiner slowed to match Armin and momentarily took his bag from him. I glanced back at them for a few moments, before turning back around and continuing my pace.

Locking my eyes ahead I returned to my earlier thoughts. Having said that we humans cannot at times comprehend the idea of our own deaths, yet it is without a doubt the centre point of our entire being, it is what we are born to do.

"So, if people began to grasp the concept of a true death, of a true life, that could change not only their view on themselves, but their entire surroundings" I said, pacing back and forth, right arm tucked under my left arm and left elbow placed on it, rubbing my thumb against my lower chin, a habit I did in moments of thought.

"What do you both think?", I said, turning back on the patio to face the bemused look from Bertholdt and the deadpan look from Annie. We were all on the patio of the dining hall, Annie seated on the top step, back to me but looking around, Bertholdt leaned against the railing next to her, and me just outside the door 2 yards away.

"It's....certainly something...." Bertholdt said, looking up at the sky behind him, as though trying to excuse himself out of the conversation subtly.

"Mmm" Annie agreed, turning back to face into the open grounds.

I deflated slightly, getting a little annoyed at the lack of enthusiasm on their part. After a second, I heaved a sigh, before moving forward and standing on the edge of the top step next to Annie, shades of sunlight breaking through the grey sky to pass over our faces. It'll probably rain soon. I watched it for a moment, before looking back down and watching a few groups of cadets on the open field before us, some talking, some training, some sitting around doing nothing.