Chapter 13: Nirvana

A flash of lightning

And a clap of thunder.

For microseconds, the world went dark.

I stood frozen, staring Frieda straight in the eye. She stood there staring right back, fists clenched, and eyes widening in shock. We both slowly turned our gaze and looked towards the main gates.

A giant, skinless hand was reaching up, over the wall before slamming it down and gripping on the inner edge. And a moment later, the head of a titan rose over the 60-meter walls surface.

I watched it from the corner of my eyes, not moving a muscle.

Bertholdt

The titan cast a dark shadow across the square, causing it to fall into an eerie silence. Steam clawed its way over the sides of the walls and poured from the titan's skin as the giant stared down at us from below. Everyone present stood still, staring up at the abomination before them.

And then, the rumble began.

Screams of shock, cries for loved ones, the rapid stampede of feet on the stone, the fear, panic, and confusion setting in as this titanic being stared down at us from above. We had nowhere to go, we were animals caged within these walls.

Someone knocked against me, rushing past in a desperate attempt to escape. This broke my gaze and shook me back to reality. I quickly looked around, surveying the number of people and the directions they were heading in.

I then looked back to Frieda. She stood still, a single tear rolling down her cheek. Her hands were clenched tightly enough to draw blood and the look of betrayal in her eyes was unrivalled.

"Frieda, get as many people away from here as possible!" I shouted, shocking her out of her gaze. She stared at me, this time in confusion as I quickly shot from the wall, in the direction of the gates and the god before us.

"What do you think you're doing!!?" I heard her scream after me, over the sound of panic and fear painted in the air.

I turned to her momentarily, seeing her standing in the middle of the alley, people knocking into her left and right, however never breaking her gaze from me.

"Slowing him down!"

I turned back and resumed my sprint. I pushed past hundreds of people, every single one making a desperate dash in the opposite direction. It was like fighting the current of a river.

I looked up to see the giant fingers tightening on the wall, his head leaning forward and his arms raising.

"Shit. He going to kick through the walls!"

I just needed to reach the walls surface.

I could touch it, manipulate it, and send spikes out to lodge him in place.

I need to stop him.

I was nearly there, nearly.

And then, the explosion.

Millions of fragments of rock, from small to gigantic, were sent flying, massive powerful gusts of wind sent people into the air. The gate dissolved into nothingness.

And then, the screams.

People crushed beneath rocks.

People blew hundreds of yards away and into the air, crashing into buildings or along the walkways.

Millions of rock fragments sent into the crowd like bullets.

Everything seemed to slow down for a moment.