Chapter 10: Forgery

"Nightfall. Good. Certainly took long enough" I murmered.

I sat atop my tree branch, having woken up a hour beforehand, one knee drew up to my chest and the other dangling off the side of the branch. Dusk had came and went and now a bright sheen was cast down the side of the walls, giving them an eerie glow. Long shadows were castfrom the walls, as well as the massive structures of titan bodies spewn about the area.

The fact I was asleep this long, from sunrise till dusk, certainly says something about how much energy I had used. However, I was fully replenished and had tore into one of the small bags of rations I had packed.

I stood up from my sitting position, adjusting my coat, and began to pick my way back down the tree. It was best I did not draw attention to myself with the blinding flash of a titan transformation in the middle of the night. It was slow going, but I eventually dropped from the final branch and landed softly on the grass below. The landing was soft and there was a gentle breeze making the grass, the wildflowers and the leafs dance in the moonlight.

And there was also a noise.

Something soft.

Something grunting.

I looked left slightly. There, no more than 6 meters away, was the face of a 7 meter titan, slumped with its back against a tree. It was staring at me, making soft grunting noises. I stared back at it for a moment, almost frozen. I did not even see it from the branch I was on mere moments ago.

It had a head to large for its body, with whisps of brown hair. Its mouth was massive, it covered nearly the entire lower portion of its face and it had shrivelled and weak legs. Could it even move with those things?

The legs looked completely deformed and had little to no muscle on them whatsoever. One was twisted backwards and looked like it was set like that. The arms were tiny in comparison however. The hands would be just larger than mine. As I examined the titan from a distance, I heard another noise. I looked up to its face, and what I saw, it sent shivers down my spine

The titan was crying. Tears were streaming down its face. It was also making whimpers. And then, it lifted its arms and reached them toward me. It was splaying its hands, and waving them. Almost like a child that wanted to be picked up would.

And then, realisation hit me like a bullet.

This was a child.

This titan was a child.

I slowley backed away, all the while maintaining eye contact. The titans whimpers were getting softer, but the tears did not stop. It just slowley dropped its arms and rested its chin against its chest. But there were still tears that would fill buckets splattering to the ground.

I could not bring myself to look. I turned away, clenching my fist. I kept my head forward and began pacing towards the walls, passing multiple titan bodies, but all the while, thinking of the child.

That child was injected with a serum that turned it into a man eating beast.

That child could have been no older than 4 or 5.

That child will continue to suffer for eternity, or until it is killed.

............

.....Marleyans......

As I made my way towards the wall, the moonlight was on my back, casting a long shadow in front of me. I walked a few more steps, before reaching the walls. I placed my hand on the surface.

This amount of pure rage and hatred cannot possibly be healthy for a human being to harbour. I felt spikes begin to portrude from the surface of the wall, so I took a few breathes and regained my composure, sending the spikes back in to merge with the wall.