Chapter 12: Paradise

Its been a few months since I first came to Paradise. And I will not lie, that last few months have been the best of my life.

I found a job, working as a salesman for a small market stall that sold fruits, vegtables, seeds and other agricultural items and food. I also found accomidation with the owner of the business. He had a spare room in the home he lived in with his wife and two children, so he generously rent's me the space.

I worked most days, except sundays. I would usually take them for walks, dining out or some other activity. The sun nearly always shone here. However, when it rained, it RAINED. The downpour would be strong enough that we would have to close up shop for the day.

This life, this sensation of tranquillity, this ease, where nobody knew or cared for who I was, where I came from and no-one had issues with me. It was a life I had never admitted,  or realised, I wanted.

If only it were true however.

There were downsides to living in paradise, as idiotic as it sounds. One of the things that pains me the most, is the soldiers, those going out and fighting the beast that lay beyond the walls. Seeing so many leave, and so little return.......it upset me.

I still remember the first day I saw them.

One particular day, I was in the town, enjoying a cup of tea in a cafe next to the road. It was a beautiful day and the sound of chatter, bustle and laughter was all around me. I had been here around two weeks at the time. I sat with a  small smile on my face, my head tilted back, the gentle breeze running along my skin. This was bliss.

Then, the sound of a bell was heard from a church, near the entrance of the walls. I looked up and noticed the bustle of people had stopped and began to gather on the sidewalks.

Confused, I sat up, hearing murmur's from passers and gatherers. Something about 'returning'. I stood up from my seat and walked over, joining the back of the crowd. I looked toward the direction of the church and saw, emerging from behind a building in the direction of the walls gates, was someone on a horse.

Voices and noise quietened down as more began to emerge. Some on horses, some sitting in carts. As they got closer however, I raised my eyebrows in surprise.

These were the soldiers that took the fight to the giants that lay beyond the walls. As they made their way past, I saw so many wrapped in blood soaked bandages, so many staring off into nothing, so many with missing limbs. And they all shared the same characteristic.

Their eyes were empty. These were the eyes of people who had seen the cruelty of this world first hand with front row seats.

And then, the whispers through the crowds. So many commenting on the lack of numbers, so many angry voices wondering where their taxes go, and so many weeping for the family or friends who were mercilessly slaughtered.

I looked back to the right, to the man who lead his men through the town. He sat tall, broad and faced forward. The sun shone from above him and his cloak flapped behind him.

A man with wings on his back.

"Someday, I promise you all......" I muttered as I began making my way away from the road, doen a small alley and into a empty street.

I tilted my head back and looked up at the sky, the clouds, and the birds that flew overhead.

".......you will be free".

-‐-----------------------------------------------------

Right now however? Right now was worse. And I did not even know why.