Chapter 32

Chapter 32: Guarantee

The father and daughter pair looked at each other.

"Dad, what's that story you are telling me?"

"The Little Mermaid."

"But... why are Aunt Zhao's story and the story you are telling me different?

"What did Aunt Zhao say?"

"Aunt Zhao said that the little mermaid was very kind, selfless, and sacrifices herself for others... She's a good mermaid."

Huo Suicheng looked at her seriously and said, "Huo Xiaoxiao, the little mermaid is indeed kind and will selflessly sacrifice herself for others. Daddy also hopes that you will be a kind girl, but you should always remember to love yourself first before you love others. Daddy will not allow you to hurt yourself for another person, understand?"

Huo Xiaoxiao raised her head to look at him. She blinked and asked, "Is little mermaid wrong?"

"Daddy doesn't like what she did."

"If Daddy doesn't like it... then, I'll not learn from her."

"Now, what story did you tell me?"

"...Cinderella."

Huo Suicheng pinched her small face and inquired, "Did Grandpa tell you that?"

"Grandpa didn't tell me." Huo Xiaoxiao paused and looked at her father pitifully before continuing, "Daddy, will you find me a stepmother like Cinderella's father did? Will my stepmother be nice to me? If she doesn't like me and treats me badly, will Daddy still care for me? Or will Daddy bully me with my stepmother? Not giving me food, Not giving me milk, making me sleep in the kitchen, making me cook and wash clothes... Uhmmm, Daddy has already asked me to wash his shirt before. Then Daddy, will you abuse me with my stepmother?"

"..."

The more she said, the more pitiful she appeared. Huo Xiaoxiao counted her fingers and continued, "If stepmother gave birth to a little brother or little sister, will Daddy drive me out?"

"..."

"But Grandpa said that if Daddy wants to find a stepmother for me one day, he must get my permission first. Otherwise, Grandpa will not spare you!" With that, Huo Xiaoxiao sighed heavily. "I wish Grandpa could live for a thousand years since he will protect me and won't let me do laundry and cooking."

Huo Suicheng knocked her head and chided her. "What are you thinking about at such a young age? Did I say I'd find you a stepmother?"

Huo Xiaoxiao grimaced in pain and covered her head with her hands. She said pitifully, "You will find a stepmother someday. They all say that if there is a stepmother, there will be a stepfather. Just like Cinderella's father."

Huo Suicheng pinched the bridge of his nose.

He was so busy with the company; how could he even have the energy to look for one?

"Daddy, will you find me a stepmother? Do you like me? Will you still like me after finding a stepmother? Will you—"

Huo Suicheng listened to her rambling about this stepmother matter and couldn't help feeling distressed. "Shut up. Go to sleep!"

"Is Daddy already impatient with me now?"

"If you don't sleep, I'll make you sleep in the kitchen just like Cinderella."

"..."

Huo Xiaoxiao lay down and covered herself with a quilt. "Good night, Daddy."

Huo Suicheng tucked in the quilt for her, turned off the light, and said, "Good night."