060. Until Hell Freezes

Part Two / Chapter Sixty

All lessons were suspended, all examinations postponed.

Some students were hurried away from Hogwarts by their parents over the next couple of days — the Patil twins were gone before breakfast on the morning following Dumbledore's death, and Zacharias Smith was escorted from the castle by his haughty-looking father. Seamus Finnigan, on the other hand, refused point-blank to accompany his mother home; they had a shouting match in the entrance hall that was resolved when she agreed that he could remain behind for the funeral to be his respects to the late Headmaster.

That morning, while eating breakfast with her friends, someone's hurried footsteps entered the hall and yanked Venus up by her arm. Andromeda Tonks stood there, a petrified look on her face.

"Auntie? What are you doing here?" Venus asked in a hushed whisper.

"You're coming home now!" Andromeda said firmly, taking Venus' wrist and beginning to pull her out of the great hall. Everyone had turned their heads at the sudden commotion, that'd become a daily occurrence amongst students and their parents.

"No!" Venus said loudly, snatching her arm away. "I can't leave!"

"And why not?"

"Because if there's another attack I have to be here to help!" Venus argued, pulling her arm back when Andromeda attempted to snatch it again. "You know that I have to be here!"

"Yes I do, but those are matters we discuss in private!" Andromeda said in a low whisper.

Harry stood up. "Er—Mrs. Tonks—"

"Sit down, Potter," said Andromeda harshly, still shooting daggers at Venus.

"Yes ma'am." He said lowly, falling back into his seat.

"It's not like it's a secret anymore!" Venus yelled, fuming with anger and embarrassment. "Blabbermouth Parkinson told the entire school already, secrets out!"

A loud silence came over everyone in the Great Hall. It was broken when Constance dropped her spoon on the ground. Pansy was flushed by unease. Hermione and Ron's mouths hung open. Harry tried to avoided eye contact with Andromeda.

"You're coming home where you'll be safe!" her aunt scolded her, attempting to drag her out of the Great Hall once again.

"No, I am not!" Venus retaliated, pulling her arm away, that started to get sore. "If Meta— if they attack again, it might not just be for me. I am not putting my friends in jeopardy for my battle. I'm not going home to tuck my head in my knees and save my own arse!"

"Venus Celeste!" Andromeda gasped in horror.

"What? I'm not lying, are I?"

Venus ran past Andromeda and out of the Great Hall, she turned a corridor and thought of anywhere else to be but there. Suddenly, sunlight penetrated her tear-brimmed eyes. The beautiful weather seemed to mock her; such a beautiful day after a gruesome tragedy. . . and in the next three hours, Venus stood in a field flooded with flowers, picking the ones that stood out to her the most; clutching them in one hand, certain that her Aunt Andromeda had went home, she flew back to Hogwarts and made her way back to the common room.