XXVIII

Elise held her fisted hands at her side. It seemed conflict might have been closer than expected. Many packs on the north and west sides had begun to feel threatened. One of the packs had decided to arrange for a meeting so they could form a treaty or hopefully another form of resolution.

"Stop being so tense. You're just going for support are you not?" One of the maids said as she combed the queen's hair.

"Just support? You are downplaying her role a lot Ava. She's the queen. I'm sure she will be required to give some input."

"I hope not," Elise muttered.

"Well even if you are not going to be giving input. The Stone edge pack does have a rather sociable Luna. You are going to need to... you know... speak to her quite a bit."

"And if you don't she will make sure you do by asking you a lot of questions," Ava sighed.

"Why did no one tell me this before?" Elise exclaimed horrified.

"Everyone thought you knew. You seemed so tense we were sure that was the reason."

"No I didn't!" Elise exclaimed her nerves having skyrocketed.

"Stop moving. I'm trying to do your hair," Nina scolded playfully.

"Do you think I can get out of going—"

"Really? But the king wants you there. Not only that but you should feel excited. He wants to take you places and he wants to have you contribute. I've heard that few kings in the past wanted to do that. They kept their mates tucked away," Ava said.

"What if I mess up? I'm stupid and I hardly know anything. I'm bad with people—"

"Stop now! If you keep putting yourself down then you are becoming exactly what you day you are. You need to at least try. If you fail, dont you want to say that you at least tried?"

"If I mess up then everything could be ruined! I dont want any sort of conflict!" Elise shouted.

"Exactly why you should go. Do you think Kings are the most powerful? No. It's the woman who controls the king who controls the power. Sure a king makes the rules," Nina said.

"If you at least speak to her and be nice, she might sway her mate in your favour."

Elise felt unsure. She wanted to reply and voice her uncertainty and fears yet again. Inside though, she knew if she did they would just shut her down with positivity and why she should talk, just as they were currently doing.

What was the point of trying to see eye to eye? They did not understand her experiences and why she saw things the way she did, and she no longer saw any use in trying.

She sat quiet as they got her ready, fussing over her, telling her that she was beautiful. It was nice to receive compliments after being told her fears were useless and she was wrong for being afraid.

She did not want to meet the Luna, the Alpha or anyone. She just wanted to be alone in the room and hide away from the world. Did that have to be too much to ask for. Her entire life felt like it was collapsing around her sometimes. Could she not get a breather, just some rest, just a life filled with being left alone. It was as if she could never escape the overwhelming stress of life.

"How do you want you hair?" Nina asked.

"Just keep it down, or whatever looks best," Elise replied softly.

She just wanted it all to be over with. People judging her for how she felt, all the stress. She wanted it to end. She wanted to just be left alone.

_____  

She stared at her reflection after they left her alone after what had to be hours. Her reflection looked pretty. Her hair was loose, brown kinks and curls flowing down, the fact that they had gotten her hair to look controlled without plaiting it, tying it into some bun or straightening it was an absolute miracle.

She couldn't think about her reflection. There were other things bugging her mind.

Was she selfish? She was pretty sure about that but she really felt horrible. She needed to support him but she didnt want to meet new and intimidating people. How was she supposed to tell people that people in power scared her.

She spun surprised as there was a sudden knock on the door and then it opened. She considered being childish and rushing to hide in the closet.

"Morning your highness," a woman laughed, closing the door behind her.

She felt relieved seeing it was just Lauren.

"Your maids seemed pretty annoyed earlier when leaving your room. I wonder if you'll ever find maids that know how to get along with you?" Lauren said.

"It was just a slight disagreement," Elise whispered pulling her legs to her chest.

"Your maids are supposed to make you feel better about yourself, not make you  cry."

"Its my fault. I'm just a cry baby and I don't like people. They are nice I guess but—"

"You are just different to what they expect. You shouldn't be upset because you don't meet their expectations. Now what was the argument about?" Lauren said sitting next to her.

"I just don't want to meet the Luna. I'm supposed to support him and I-I cannot even do that simple job correctly."

"If you were used to royal protocol and doing such things I would say you were being stupid—"

"I know. I am being stupid," Elise whispered.

"You did not let me finish. You are not used to this atmosphere though. They cannot expect you to suddenly understand how things work or have adapted. It's normal to be afraid. It's not like you even have a good support system," Lauren sighed.

"That's not true," Elise protested.

"You have absolutely no one but Revion. He works during the day. You just stay in your room. I heard of what happened between you and your previous maids."

"Please do not bring it up."

"Is that why you are refusing to see new people. It's understandable that you are afraid of being used and pushed around but you are stopping yourself enjoying life at all."

A/N

I am sorry it has taken so long to bring out another chapter. I've had terrible writing block for this book and I have been super busy with tests and so much work at university.

Thank you for everyone who has continued to support me. It means alot to me.