XXIII

A coma!

René was in a coma.

Oh that complicated things for Revion. It complicated things big time.

He didn't know when the next move would be made. What if the poison was used the next day or even that night? He needed information soon and the one person who could give it to him would possibly never wake up.

"Well at least shackle her to the bed. She is a dangerous criminal who has committed acts of treason," Revion said.

"I have no handcuffs?" The doctor replied, slightly scared now knowing the woman he had been treating was an enemy of the king.

The king groaned and almost immediately sent Justin and Chandler to get some shackles or chains to keep her secured.

Once René was secured he went back to his mate finding her sitting up awake in the bed. It was early morning and she did not look happy to find that she had mistaken a pillow for him.

He felt the force of an angry pillow hitting his face.

"I'm sorry Elise I had to do some work."

"You couldn't have done it here? I was scared when I woke up and you were gone."

"I left a note for that reason."

"Well what was it that was more important than me?"

"It was not more important than you. It just had to get done," he sighed.

"Well tell me. I want to know."

"Chandler and Justin found René."

She froze before looking down.

"I-I see."

"She is alive," he whispered.

"How is she even alive! That fall.... it... it."

"I said she was alive I didn't say anything else yet."

"Oh right. Sorry," Elise whispered.

"She is in a coma."

"That's practically good as dead. I-I put her into a coma!" Elise cried.

"Elise don't— it's okay. There is hope of her waking up."

"I wanted her to be alive but I don't know if I could handle looking at her knowing everything I have done."

"Elise you did nothing wrong."

"That's not true! I could have grabbed her! I could have—"

"Elise calm down. I thought we went over this already. You did everything you could. It's not your fault."

"Then why do I feel so horrible inside. The guilt keeps attacking me and I don't have the strength to push it away because I feel responsible. Everything that happened is ultimately due to me."

"Elise she did it all to herself. I thought we went over this yesterday but I guess it is still recent. Its normal for you to feel upset but I want you to stop blaming yourself. Can you do that for me at least?"

She glanced down.

"Elise you don't have to let this consume you. You are strong—"

"But I'm not strong. Look at me Revion. I'm so weak and small, I'm an Omega and I can never do anything right. I can't even save people like René."

"You are not weak Elise and you have the status of a queen not an Omega. Even so you should not be letting status define you nor should you let a few accidents define you. You were strong enough to get here. You might not be physically big or strong but you are brave and kind and that's all that matters to me."