XVII

Elise gave one scared look to her mate before the door closed behind him and he was out.

She glanced forward at the very tired bunch of Lycans. Two of them seemed to reside on the couch and the one woman took the giant bed which was big enough for all three of them.

It confused her greatly. Were they mates in a disagreement or something?

"Your hair is very beautiful, your highness, have you ever considered any fancier hairstyles?" The woman asked spontaneously.

Elise shook her head softly. She didn't feel happy in the new environment she had been placed in. She didn't want an extroverted personality near her. She wanted to be left alone to drown in her misery.

"Lady Lauren found a new muse, just wonderful," one of the men muttered.

"Shut up Justin and don't you even think of starting Chandler."

Elise recognized the last name. That was the guy who had interrupted them that once in the passage. She had forgotten he even existed.

Elise slowly approached the bed and sat down. She took many small glances at the woman whilst she sat. She was wary of what she was doing. She didn't want to infringe on her territory. Lycans were said to be far more instinctual than the regular wolves in her pack. She didn't want to get attacked again. She had had enough violence for the day.

"Lauren don't forget to ask permission. You can't make her do what you like considering her rank. All other woman have no right to oppose you with your rank but for once there is a woman higher than you. You should be respectful," the guy who was not Chandler said.

"Like Lady Lauren would listen to that," Chandler laughed.

Elise slowly drew her legs to her chest. She didn't like it. She felt like a stranger. They all clearly knew each other very well. She knew none of them very well. She didn't fit in.

"Your highness.. do you mind if I do your hair?" Lauren asked.

Elise noticed Lauren struggling to ask permission. Did she have a problem with it? She didn't mind it. No one usually asked her for things before. She was used to women with power higher than her own telling her what to do. Women like René.....

"Its okay. Please calm down."

Elise didn't know what was happening. She felt her body shaking and she was crying. Her heart was racing.

Saying calm down only made it worse. She was not being normal. It was disturbing people around her. She didn't know how to calm down.

"We should get Revion. He'll know how to handle this."

"No he left his mate with us, in our care. He trusted us with her."

"Quiet I don't need you idiots making it worse!"

Elise couldn't process things as quickly anymore. She felt herself beginning to hyperventilate and also struggling to breathe.

Guilt flooded her.

The fear and terror in René's eyes were haunting.

She had murdered René.

René's mate had lost his soulmate. How could she have done such a thing.

She could hear herself crying. Tears were drenching her face.

Her body trembled, shaking as she had a breakdown.

She felt a hint of warmth as arms wrapped around her.

"Its okay. None of us are going to hurt you. I'm not a mean person. How about we just breathe. You can do that right? Just take slow breaths."