Family - (Levi x Infertile!Reader)

[Art by pi0W0pi]

If the topic somehow triggers you, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to lift unwanted memories.

***

It was genetic, your infertility. Sometimes it made you wonder how come your mother got to have a child and you cannot. The thought of being a mother brought a smile to your face. For years, you feared falling in love, because you were unable to mother your future husband's children.

But when you found Levi, he washed away your fears. He was anything you could ever wish for. He didn't care if you were unable to bear his child or not. He loved you for who you were.

And here you were, together, walking down the path to the Queen's orphanage that she just opened a month ago. Since then, Levi had been helping Historia, and you were enjoying your time with the lovely children. You would play with them, telling stories, and would sometimes bring them to sleep. You enjoyed the feeling.

The children loved having you by their side. When they see you and Levi waking up from afar, they would stop whatever they were doing and race towards you.

Levi, on the other hand, noticed a gap in your heart. He knew from the start your dream was to start your own family. And that was when he decided.

"Here are some things you need to know. We just need yours and your wife's signature, and the name of the child." The employee spoke, pushing a sheet of paper to him. He read the terms, eyes glancing at you, thinking about what would you say. He didn't even tell you yet. He knew you would deny this decision, saying negative things about yourself.

But he signed it anyway. All he had to do now was to break the news to you. Seeing you laughing with the children brought a soft smile to his lips. He imagined how you'd make a wonderful mother.

Levi called you, pulling you out of the building to talk alone. You smiled at the children before you followed him.

"What's wrong?" You asked, putting a hand to his shoulder. Now you realized, he had something bugging his mind.

Taking a deep breath, he tore his gaze from the floor to you, "I signed an adoption paper."

The words that came out of his mouth shocked you. Your body went stiff as your smile turned upside down. Fear washed over your face as Levi slowly frowned, seeing your sudden sadness. "I figured it's time for us to take a step forward. I know I should have asked you first but-"

You curled a hand to your chest, trying hard not to cry, but the lump in your heart betrayed you. "Are... Are you saying... You're disappointed in me because I can't have your children?" You spoke up, tears welling up in the corner of your eyes. Levi widened his eyes at that. He immediately grabbed your hand and placed another hand on your cheek.

"No! No no! That's not my point! I said this a hundred times, Y/n. I don't hate you for being infertile, okay? I've always told you there are other options." Levi paused, a warm smile cast on his lips as he wiped a tear off your cheek. He glanced at the orphanage, then back at you, "This is our other option, Y/n. It doesn't matter if the child isn't from our blood, as long as you and I are willing to raise them, the child is ours."

Levi's word caught your breath away. He opened your mind. You sobbed a breath, taking a glance at the children inside the building. "But what if I..." You paused, searching for your words.

Levi took both your hands in his, pressing them to his heart. "What if I cannot be a good mother? Levi, I don't even know my mother! You know she left me the second she knew I can't have her grandchildren! I don't even know how to raise a child! I don't even know how to be a mother-" Your voice cracked at each time you continue your sentence. Levi shushed you, cutting your words as you let out a silent cry.