Avatar Aang

Chapter 49

(Feel free time comment)

Word count 12,598 words

(Zuko) POV

I dropped to my knees as I finished the last line of the letter stuffed in my bag.

By the time you are reading this I will be gone, but I will be dying without regrets. Or that's what I'd like to say. The truth is, I do have one. I never got to marry you...

With love, (Y/n).

"She's gone. She's fucking g..one" I clenched my teeth together as I tried to not focus on my sore chest.

I looked over at Katara as she was lying on Appa, crying. The Fire Sages took my sister away and offered to show me inside, but I refused. I needed time alone.

I looked up at the sun and watched it begin to dim. I didn't want it to. The sunset meant night, night meant the moon, the moon was when we danced.

The wind sent a chill down my spine as the sun was no longer in view. I should've know. I should've known something was off. The way she so easily agreed to stay back during the battle. God I was so stupid!

I sniffled as Katara's voice brought me back into reality, "Zuko? You're mumbling... do you want to talk about this?" She choked out through her sobs.

"I'm so stupid. I should've know" I exclaimed.

"It's (Y/n), she could never be read so easily"

I shook my head as I tried my hardest not to cry. According to this fucking letter she didn't want me to be sad. How could she not want me to?

I shook my head re-reading the letter for the eighth time. It still was the same words in the same font.

I began to think of my life with her, and I realized something. I was only truly happy when I was with her. Here, in this palace I had the constant mental abuse from my father and it only got worse when mom left. Then I got burned by the man who was supposed to protect me, fathers were supposed to protect and help their kids. Not hurt them and send them away. Then I spent three years filled with angst trying to restore something I already had.

Then I met her, I met (Y/n). I actually smiled around her. When I was with her in Ba Sing Se, I didn't care that I was a penniless boy. When she was here with me, I was able to see her everyday. And when we were with her family, I felt like I actually mattered.

I looked back at Katara who clenched her letter tighter into her chest as I began to tear up again.

I looked up to the sky to see the lights completely gone. There was nothing but the rising moon behind me to create some light.

My eyes focused on the stars as I pictured her next to me. Maybe her Spirit was right next to me. Maybe she was watching over me. Maybe.

I put my hands together and began to pray as if she could hear me, "Tell me (Y/n), were you happy in this world? Or was I even enough?" I asked.

I sniffled again as I tried to stay calm. I've felt this emotion before and I hate it just as much as the first time. The pain of loss. It felt like I was falling, even though I was perfectly still.