Prologue

"I think you should go." My aunt Maria told me as I looked down at the acceptance letter.

Congratulations! You have been accepted into 'Jefferson Academy' school of the gifted.

I sighed and shook my head, I already rejected the offer back in the ninth grade and I'd gladly do it again.

"I think it'll be good for you, to be around people just as talented as you are." She continued, scooting closer to me on the couch and putting an arm around my shoulder.

I scoffed and shook it off. She didn't care about what might be 'good for me'. She just wanted me out of the house so she could move in with her boyfriend.

"I'm not going." I stated, crossing my arms stubbornly.

"You're going whether you like it or not, I was just trying to be nice." She admitted, pausing for a moment before adding "You have some talents that deserve to be used instead of ignored."

I rolled my eyes and balled my hands into fists to keep from shouting at her. "You know why I don't want to go."

"I know what you went through was tough, but you need to move forward with your life. This school could be the first step."

I let out a humourless chuckle and walked away. I couldn't just 'move on' from the thing that ripped my whole life apart.

I didn't care what she said or did, I was not going to that stupid school.