7. The Performance

I was freaking out.

Drew and I had to preform our song in front of the whole school today, and I was terrified.

I knew we were going to do well, we'd practiced so much I could play the song in my sleep. But I couldn't help feeling like I was going to just freeze with all those people watching me. Which would then result in Drew killing me, if I hadn't already died of embarrassment.

There was only an hour and a half until the performance so Drew and I were in the music room practicing, and we were playing perfectly. If I could just stay like that I'd be fine on stage.

"Why are you nervous anyway?" Drew asked when we were finished playing the song, "I mean you close your eyes like a freak, so it's not like you're going to look out at the crowd and freeze or something."

Okay, rude.

"I haven't performed for an audience since-" I started and quickly corrected myself when I realized what I was about to say, "I mean I haven't performed in two years."

Drew gave me a weird look but didn't question me, thankfully.

"How are you not nervous?" I asked, not because I wanted to know, but because he asked me a question so now it was my turn.

Drew rolled his eyes, "Why would I be nervous, I'm the best in the school at guitar, and I never mess up. Performing is basically just rubbing your talent in everyones face."

I shook my head, why was I not surprised? Of course he'd look at it that way. Performing is just his way of saying "Hey, I'm better than you" to everyone in the audience.

"We'll play it one more time and then go change and get ready." He told me, instead of asking. And that's exactly what we did.

"Remember, wear something formal and black." Was his way of saying goodbye once we finished the song.

• • • • • • • • • • • • •

"So Sky, can you help me out with something?" I asked my bubbly roommate once I was in our dorm room.

"Your hair?" She asked rhetorically, and I nodded in confirmation. I was terrible at doing anything good when it came to hair.

Forty minutes later I was all dolled up in a black dress and red lipstick, with my hair falling in loose curls down my back.

I looked in the mirror one last time to make sure everything was perfect, and couldn't help but smile. For the first time in a long time, I felt pretty. And that was the confidence boost I needed to make it through the performance.

I quickly made my way to the auditorium with Sky beside me, doing some weird mouth exercises to warm up.

"I hope I do well, I've been messing up lately." Sky suddenly said as we walked through the door to the room backstage.

"You're an amazing singer, you wouldn't be at this school if you weren't. You're going to have an outstanding performance." I told her, giving her an encouraging smile. I knew she would do perfect.

"Thanks Cora. And you're going to do great too!"

"Maybe, but I'm gonna go find Drew now. Who knows how long it'll take me to find him. Good luck!" I told Sky, and waved as I walked into the crowd.

"Good luck!" She called, waving back.

Okay, where to find Drew?

"Looking for someone?" A deep voice asked from behind me, startling me so bad I almost fell.

"Did you really need to sneak up on me?" I hissed once I spun around and saw who the voice belonged to. Drew.

"I didn't have to. But I'm glad I did." He answered, chuckling.