27. Wake Up

The beep of his heart monitor was annoying yet comforting. I didn't get a wink of sleep because of it, but it reassured me that he was alive.

Please wake up I thought to myself as I looked down at the peaceful sleeping face of Drew.

Stubble was beginning to show on his chin and his face was pale, but he was alive. All he needed to do was wake up and then everything would be okay.

I needed him to be okay.

No one knew exactly what happened after I ran away from Peter and Drew, but I assumed that they had a fight for the gun and Drew lost. The bullet pulled out of his chest was evidence of that.

When the police arrived Drew was on the ground bleeding out and Peter was looking for me.

He wouldn't surrender his weapon when the police caught up to him and they ended up fatally shooting him. I couldn't say I was sad about that. Relief for Peter's death was the only emotion I had about it. Justice was finally served for my family's murder. He deserved to die for what he did.

Everything could finally be okay again if Drew would just wake up. The incident happened three days ago and he hadn't been conscious once since he got here.

Someone walking into the room brought me out of my thoughts.

"You should go back to our dorm to have a shower and get some sleep." Sky suggested softly.

I opened my mouth to protest but she raised her hand to stop me.

"I'll stay with him and if anything changes I'll call you right away."

I sighed, she was right. But what if he woke up while I wasn't there? Or what if he got worse?

I looked up at Sky to tell her that I wasn't leaving but the look on her face left no room for discussion. She reminded me so much of my mom with that expression.

I reluctantly got up and left, only pausing to give Drew one last look before exiting the room.

Please be okay while I'm gone.

Once I was out of the hospital I realized that I didn't have a way back to school.

As I pulled out my phone to call Matt, someone called my name.

I looked around for the culprit and after a moment saw Matt waving to get my attention. He must've driven Sky here, and knew that I was going to need a drive when Sky made me leave.

I quickly walked over to him and he met me half way.

When we reached each other he pulled me into a hug, and for the first time since this all happened, I relaxed a little. Being in the embrace of Matt was comforting and made me feel like everything was going to be okay.

I didn't feel as safe as I did in Drew's arms though, and the warm feeling in my chest wasn't there when I hugged Matt.

"Let's get you home, you kinda stink." Matt joked, pulling out of the hug and leading me to his car.

I cracked a smile as I got in, he always knew how to lighten the mood.

The ride back to school was quiet, the only conversation we had was Matt asking if I wanted him to keep me company when we got back. I told him I wanted to be alone for a while and that was the end of our talk.

Now as I stood in my room I was regretting my decision to be alone. I was left with only my thoughts, which consisted of worrying about whether Drew was going to wake up or not.

Maybe a shower would help. I needed one anyway, Matt was right when he said I stunk. But that was what happened when someone stayed in a hospital for three days. I hadn't left Drew at all other than to use the bathroom and get food, until Sky basically kicked me out.