25. Carpool And Karaoke

"Do I really have to come?" I wined as Sky tried to drag me out of bed.

She rolled her eyes in annoyance, "It's the last night of winter break, you have to come! Everyone's gonna be there."

I sighed in defeat and got up. For the past thirty minutes Sky had been trying to convince me to go to karaoke night at a local restaurant with her and the rest of our friends but I really didn't want to go. I'd rather just relax in bed on my last night of freedom before school started back up.

But everyone was going, which meant I'd be completely alone, and I couldn't be alone, I was too scared. Especially at night.

So in the end Sky won and I pouted as I followed after her to the front of the school where everyone was waiting.

"A bird's gonna poop on your lip if you don't stop pouting like that." Sky called over her shoulder as we walked through the doors that led to our destination.

I pouted even harder at her comment until my eyes landed on Drew leaning against a wall and chatting with Cody.

"Well look who decided to show up." Matt teased before walking over and giving me a quick side hug.

"Yeah, yeah." I mumbled, my eyes involuntarily finding Drew again.

"You're riding with me right?" Matt asked, stepping directly in front of me so I couldn't see anyone but him.

I nodded in reply even though I'd rather be with Drew.

I liked Matt, he was a great friend, but Drew made me feel safer than anyone else.

"Let's get this show on the road ladies and gentlemen." Cody enthusiastically suggested, gesturing towards the parking lot.

I silently followed Matt to his car and got in, my eyes searching for a certain boy as I buckled up.

What was wrong with me? I shouldn't be trying to catch any glimpse of Drew I could get. We were just friends, and friends didn't ogle friends every chance they got.

I sighed and trained my eyes on the dashboard of Matt's car so I wasn't looking for Drew.

"Are you excited to hear my angelic singing voice tonight?" Matt asked as he drove away from the school, following Cody's Jeep.

"I can't wait." I sarcastically replied, laughing when I saw the fake look of hurt look on his face.

The rest of the ride was in a comfortable silence, and no longer than ten minutes later we were walking into the restaurant.

Everyone already had dinner so we got a table and only ordered drinks before signing up for the karaoke.

Matt, Cody, Jess, and Sky all signed up while Drew and I stayed behind. There was no way I was getting up there and singing in front of anyone, and I couldn't picture Drew doing that either.

First up to sing was Matt.

He quickly got up onto the little stage and cleared his throat as the music started.

I was surprised by his song choice and voice. He was singing Changes by XXXTENTACION, and he actually wasn't that bad. The song wasn't very difficult to sing, so that definitely helped him out, but Matt was actually kind of good.

When the song was over and Matt was back, sitting next to me at the table, I gave him a pat on the back.

"Good to know you're not tone deaf."

He gave me a playful scowl in return, "You really need to learn how to properly compliment people."

I opened my mouth to reply but quickly shut it when Jess and Cody got onto stage. They sang a hilarious cover of the Barney theme song that got everyone in the building laughing.

"If karaoke night was a contest, you two would win." Sky told them when they got off stage.

I nodded in agreement, a huge smile on my face. I was so glad Sky made me come out, so far it was really fun and I hadn't even thought about all the scary stuff going on in my life. Tonight I could be a carefree teenager.

For a while other people performed and we watched and chatted until Sky was called to the stage.

She sang Hello by Adele and it was absolutely amazing. When the song ended she was met with a roar of applause.

"I wish I could sing like you." I said when she got back to the table.

She quietly muttered "Thanks." And quickly changed the subject so she wasn't the topic of conversation. She was so modest despite her talent, if I had her voice I'd show it off whenever I could.

Cody was in the middle of a hilarious story about a time he almost got suspended when I heard my name, followed by Drew's, called to the stage.

"Did you two really think you could go to karaoke night and not participate?" Jess asked, a playfully evil glint in her eyes.

"You didn't." I breathed, realization washing over me.

"She did." Matt confirmed.

They signed Drew and I up for a song!

"There's no way in hell." Drew spoke up.

I nodded in agreement, crossing my arms defiantly.

Sky gave us her best puppy dog eyes, "Please! You guys have to, it's all for fun!" And after she was done talking the rest of our group started begging for us to do the song too.

"We're not getting out of this, are we?" I asked, turning to Drew.

He shook his head no.

"Let's do this." I mumbled, getting up from my seat and walking towards the stage with Drew following close behind.

Once we were on stage and both of us had a microphone, a familiar song started playing. All About Us by He Is We ft. Owl City.

I'd heard Sky listen to the song a bunch of times and Drew would recognize it too because she listened to it whenever we all hang out. There was no doubt in my mind that she picked this song for us.

I looked around nervously at the people watching me and my stomach flipped. I couldn't do this.

Drew grabbed my hand to get my attention and gave me a warm smile of encouragement when I looked over at him.

I took a deep breath to calm my nerves and didn't take my eyes away from Drew's as I started the first verse.

When the crowd didn't immediately boo me off stage I got more comfortable and started to gain some confidence.

And then Drew spun me around to go along with the lyrics as I sang them and I completely let go. I laughed and playfully danced as my verse ended.

And then Drew joined in for the bridge of the song and I was shocked by how good his voice was.

The whole crowd started to cheer for us as the chorus started, and for the rest of the song we sang and danced and laughed. I forgot I was performing in front of a bunch of people rather than just goofing off with Drew.

After we sang the final words of the song the crowd gave us a loud applause that brought me back to reality. My cheeks instantly reddened when I realized that I just sang in front of a room full of people, most of which I didn't even know.

Drew, always the one to thrive on attention, smiled and waved at the crowd before taking my hand and leading us back to our table.

"We signed you two up for a song in the hopes of embarrassing you. Why'd you guys have to do so well?" Matt whined.

Cody nodded in agreement, "Why is everyone other than me good at singing?"

"So school tomorrow. That's sucks." Sky spoke up, and I silently thanked her for changing the subject. I didn't want to talk about my performance anymore.

As I listened to my friends talk my eyes wandered around the restaurant until they landed on Drew. He gave me a playful wink when he noticed my stare, and I bit back a smile as my heart fluttered. What was it about him that made me feel like a giddy little girl?

Not long after my karaoke debut with Drew, the restaurant closed so we had to leave. And lucky for me, I got to carpool home with the person that made me the happiest.