Epilogue

Graduation

"Group picture!" Sky shouted, waving me over to where the rest of our friends were.

I smiled at how goofy we all looked in our cap and gowns as I walked towards them.

We all got in position for the picture and Garrett, Sky's boyfriend, held up a camera.

"Say cheese."

Everyone smiled and a second later the camera clicked and the flash went off.

"I can't believe we graduated." Jess mused, excitement in her voice but sadness in her eyes.

I smiled sadly, "I'm going to miss all of you."

Drew rubbed comforting circles into my back and I leaned into his touch.

"We'll all meet up every Christmas and summer." Sky reassured everyone.

I looked around at my friends and my heart warmed. Although I was going to miss them so much when we were all apart, I was happy for them.

Sky got a record deal, Jess was going to Harvard for law, and Matt and Cody got full football scholarships to the University of Mississippi.

And as for me, I was going to Juilliard for piano, and Drew was moving to New York with me to further his career with the band he recently joined. And if you ask me, they were going to make it big.

I did feel bad for Jess and Cody though. They were going to try a long distance relationship, but I had a bad feeling it wasn't going to work out. Their relationship was rocky to begin with.

"I say we go mini putting in celebration of graduating." Matt suggested, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah! Teams of two since everyone here is dating someone." Cody agreed.

I smiled at the idea. We hadn't really done many group dates since Sky's boyfriend lived somewhere else and Matt only just started dating his girlfriend Lizzie.

"Last one to get there pays for everyone!" Drew yelled before grabbing my hand and taking off towards his car.

I laughed at his childish behaviour and I tried not to trip over my feet as we ran.

"We're so not paying." Drew said when we were in his car and pulling out of the parking space.

I saw Cody and Jess struggling to open the passenger side door of his car and nodded in agreement. Poor Cody was going to have to pay for everyone.

When we arrived at the familiar mini putt course in the mall, Sky and Garrett were already there.

"You owe me five bucks." Sky cheered, holding her hand out to receive her earnings from Garrett.

"Did you bet on who was going to lose?" I asked, raising a suspicious brow at her.

She nodded to confirm my assumption, a proud smile on her face.

I raised my hand for a high five, "Good job."

She slapped my hand and we both laughed.

Not long after that, Matt and Lizzie showed up, but still no Jess and Cody.

"I bet they're getting down and dirty in the back of Cody's Jeep." Matt stated, causing everyone to laugh hysterically.

He was probably right, which makes it even funnier.

We all chatted and finally, twenty minutes after Drew and I showed up, the last couple walked through the door.

"Look who decided to finally show up." Drew teased.

Cody shot him a wink and Jess turned beet red.

We all quickly got our clubs and balls, and started on the first hole while Cody payed.

"Do you remember what I taught you the last time we came here?" Drew asked, referring to the time over a year ago when I first came here.

I shook my head, "How am I supposed to remember something from so long ago?"

"I'll show you again. I don't want you holding us back." He teased, pulling me into a side hug.

I playfully glared up at him, but it didn't last long because I was up next.

"Alright stand to the side and hold the club like this." Drew explained, pointing to where I should stand and then wrapping his arms around me and placing his hands on mine.

Then we hit the ball and just missed the hole.

I huffed in frustration at not getting a hole in one, and walked over to tap the ball in.

Drew was last to go, and he of course got a hole in one.

"If we weren't on the same team, I'd call you a cheater." I joked as we walked to the next hole.

He gave me a warm smile in reply.

• • • • • • • • • • • • •

I laughed at the memory of Matt's reaction when it was announced that Drew and I beat him and Lizzie by one.

"What are you giggling about?" Drew asked, flicking his eyes over to me for a moment before training them back on the road.

"Matt's reaction to losing." I answered, smiling when the look on his face flashed in my mind.

Drew chuckled, "He was devastated."

I was glad one of the last times I got to spend with all of my friends was spent kicking their butts.

We finally pulled into the parking lot of the school and a wave of sadness washed over me. For the last two years I'd called this place my home, and this was the last night I'd be spending here.

Tomorrow I was going to Drew's house with him for the summer, and then we were off to New York.

Drew interlocked our fingers once we were out of the car and my sadness dimmed a little.

"I have an idea." He said when he noticed that I wasn't as happy as I was on the ride here.

I looked up at him curiously, "What is it?"

He gave me a cheeky smile, "You're gonna have to wait to find out."

I rolled my eyes at his answer. I should've seen that reply coming.

We walked into the school, and only when we were in the music hallway did I realize that he was taking me to play our songs.

I looked up at him and smiled. He always knew exactly what to do to cheer me up.

"For old times sake." He explained, holding the door open for me.

Nodding in understanding, I walked over to the piano that helped me through everything, and smiled at the keys as I sat down while Drew got set up.

He surprised me by playing our second song first and I played my part a moment after he began.

With my eyes wide open.

As my fingers danced across the keys the world disappeared, and all that was left was me and the music. I was in my own peaceful universe rid of pain, loss, and sadness.

Each note flowed through my veins and I felt lighter than I ever had.

This was what I' was meant to do, what I was meant to be. This was what my dad wanted me to feel, why he taught me piano.

I felt alive and free and safe.

Music made me happier than anything else in the world, especially when I was playing with Drew.

If I had those two things in my life, I knew everything would be okay, no matter what came my way.