15. Accusations

"That was fun." Drew said, his voice dripping sarcasm as we walked back into the game room.

I rolled my eyes and nodded in agreement as I fell onto the couch beside him.

"So you were close to your grandpa?" I asked, curious as to why he defended the man when his mom seemed to hate him so much.

Drew nodded, the sadness back in his eyes. "He was the best. He taught me how to play guitar, and he's the only one from my family that's ever supported my music. He's the reason I applied to Jefferson Academy."

"I can't believe your parents don't support your music, can they not see how talented you are?" It was sad that someone as talented as Drew didn'g have the support he deserved.

When he didn't reply a thought hit me. He wanted to be perfect at the performance we had, and when he had that little mess up at the beginning he was so hard on himself.

"Is that why you reacted the way you did after our performance? You were so mad that you messed up, were your parents in the crowd?" I asked.

Drew sighed and ran a hand through his hair, "Yeah, the one time they see me play and I mess up. I'm sorry again that I snapped at you when you were trying to make me feel better about it."

I shook my head, "No need to apologize, I shouldn't have bothered you."

After I spoke I was hit by the sudden urge to pee.

"Hey where's the bathroom?" I asked when Drew didn't say anything.

"When you get out to the hallway, it's three doors down to the right, same side of the hall as this." Drew explained.

"Thanks." I muttered before exiting the room.

I quickly used the toilet and then washed my hands, and as I was drying them I heard Drew's parents on the other side of the door speaking in panicky hushed tones.

"How much do you think she knows?" Cecelia asked.

"We would've known if she knew we were connected to them in any way." Trevor replied.

What were they talking about?

I quietly stepped closer to the door, holding my breath so I could hear them more clearly.

"You're right. But we need to get her out of here fast, just in case." Cecelia said, and then added a moment later, "I can't believe out of all the girls at that school Andrew had to pick their daughter."

I stepped back from the door as if it were on fire.

They knew my parents?

Finding the name Bates written on a scrap of paper in my parents safe was starting to make sense. They must been involved in the murders, or at least knew something about it. There was no other explanation to how they were talking right now.

But what was I supposed to do with this information?

I waited for Drew's parents to leave before I stepped out of the bathroom. If they really were involved in the murders, they couldn't know that I was on to them. I didn't want to be the next person to die.

My mind was reeling as I walked back into the game room. Did Drew know that his parents knew mine? Did he have information about my family's death that he wasn't telling me?

What if he was covering for his parents? And what if he only started being nice to me to see if I was getting close to finding out who killed my family?

"Did your parents know my parents?" I blurted, silently cursing myself for not having control over the things I say.

"What are you talking about? Of course they didn't know your parents." Drew replied, his confused eyes studying my face.