Chapter 19- Eclipse

I sigh, the peace of the desert settling into my bones. Anna was peacefully snoozing next to me as we were speeding 90 miles per hours across the desert road.

My eyes focused on the road ahead. I haven't driven in such a long time. I sigh again, loving the feeling of power and freedom. It reminded me of being a dragon.

"Enjoying the car, runner?" The only other awake person asks mentally.

I grin, "Of course, who doesn't like a car who can beat you?"
Ethan's chuckle sounds through my head, "Is that a challenge, runner?"
"You betcha vampire," I smirk back, my grip on the steering wheel tightening.

"Fine, your on. 3, 2, 1....GO!" The mustang next to me roars to life, zooming forward.
"You ready?" I ask the car. As if it could understand me it purrs louder. I grin, my foot pressing harder on the gas pedal.

"VROOM!" My car jolts forward, catching up and passing Ethan's car easily.
I look back to Ethan's cars, where he was concentrating deeply on passing me.
I flash a wink and speed up even more. Slowly the desert becomes forest as me and Ethan continue our race. Each of us taking turns being first and last.

My world slows as my eyes catch a herd of deer at the edge of the forest, blind to my car.
"Anna! OUT!" I scream as ice and heat explode through my limbs. My foot smashes the door as I pull Anna out, throwing her out of the car.
She screeches as she lands gentle 20 feet away. My hands grab my head for protection as my car screeches into the deer, flipping. Then, my world disappeared. I was in darkness, all to be heard was a voice shouting somewhere, my adrenaline leaving me as fast as lightning. I numbly pry open my eyes.

A gorgeous black dragon stood in front of me. His wings were open and on fire. His stomach glowed orange as he stood confidently in-front of me.
"He looks kinda like a lunar eclipse...." were my last thoughts as the fear and pain of the car crash takes me into dream world.

-------Sometime later------
I yawn, lifting myself out of the surprisingly comfortable bed.
"Good morning Kate!" A stranger voice pipes up.
I instantly bolt, my whole body tensing and preparing for attack.

The melodic voice laughs. Her voice sending pleasant shivers down my spine, "Calm down Kate, I won't hurt you."
I finally scan the room, it was just a small cabin looking house. I keep scanning before landing on a gorgeous small woman. She wasn't gorgeous like: be jealous or a sexy gorgeous; she was just........breath-taking. She had lively grey eyes, completely frizzy/poofy light brown hair, and a smile that lit up the room. Small wrinkles around her eyes showed age as her eyes sparkled with wisdom.

"Let me introduce myself, my name is Esmeralda."
I blink a few times, "The witch Esmeralda?"
She nods before laughing at my face's reaction, "I'm guessing you believed me to be a old green hag?"

I instantly blush, that was exactly what I thought she'd be.
Her laugh echoes across the room, causing a smile to play on my lips.

She smiles at me, "I may be old darling, but I am defiantly not a hag."
I blush again, turning scarlet, "I'm sorry madam."

"Now now child! Please do not call me that!'
Ethan's voice shouts from outside the door, "Kate! you're awake!"
I freeze, clutching the blanket covering me.
The witch Esmeralda purses her lips before mumbling something. Ethan instantly yelps before grumbling, "Not fair!"

Esmeralda sighs, "Ethan, I know you've found your mate now that your powers are back, but you are not allowed to spy! We don't want to bring up the past darling."

He groans, "FINE!"
I scrunch up my nose, "The past? What's wrong with the past?"
Esmeralda gives a slight smile at me, sitting down at the edge of my bed, "Nothing you need to worry about child."