Chapter 33- Plans with Old Pain

I pace around the meeting room. My pack watching me as my plan forms in my head.

I take a deep breath and stop my pacing. I turn towards the pack.

"Well?" Jack asks.

"Well.... We are going to start with the basics of what we know, and I will provide you with what you don't know."
Léo raises his eyebrow as everyone else looks at me with confusion.

I sigh, my eyes traveling from member to member.

"Let's begin. We are the strongest pack around. However, that does not mean we cannot be harmed. As we know, our last demon attack almost got Athena killed."

Athena purses her lips.

"However, if you remember, Jack was there to save her."
The group nods and I continue, "Jack, how were you able to defeat a demon? A possessy in that case?"

Jack furrows his eyebrows, "I don't remember...."

"Exactly," I confirm. "When you fight demons, if you destroy one, the final defense from the demon is removing your memory so that you don't kill more demons." I look towards Ethan, "Remember when I was fighting Pierce and Hunter in the forest after our kidnapping?"

Ethan nods, yet everyone was still confused.
"Well, before I had that fist fight with Hunter, I was actually fighting a demon hybrid. A human that was half demon fought me. Since it wasn't all demon, it wasn't able to completely remove my memory. Now at I saw who the demon king is, I remembered how I defeated the hybrid."

Everyone leans a little closer in.
"Through magic...." I whisper. Now Linda stood confused, "How with magic? You are an animal transformer!"

I respond to her, "That is true, but like Jack, I have the power to control elements. Jack destroyed the possessy demon with his water power without knowing it. I destroyed the demon with my ice power. And Ethan destroyed his own personal demon, when he was younger, with the fire."

Ethan gives a small smile as Linda blinks in understanding.
Léo crosses his arms, "How about the Shadow demons? How do we destroy them?"
"How do you make a shadow disappear?" I pause.

"You shine a light on it." Anna and I say together. She holds my gaze, biting her lip,"Shadow demons won't die just because a light is flashed on them, what light are you talking about?"

"The light of team work..." I say quietly. It sounded corny, but it was true.
It was Ethan's turn for disbelief, "Really, how does that work?" He asks, sarcasm dripping from his voice.

I sigh, "Let me start from the beginning then. You see, my mother was a animal transformer. She was the one and only Phoenix, one of the most powerful creatures for she never could die."
Some looks of surprise were shot my way.

"However, every year, the phoenix needs to revive itself. It turns into a ball of flame and turns into ashes. Those ashes would eventually reform back into the phoenix. When my father learned that my mother was a phoenix, he immediately wanted to use her to get to the top of the mythical world. My mother disagreed, refusing to be used to inflict pain and fear for money and power. Daniel was furious. He told her that she was not loyal to him. The irony was he was already cheating on her with Sheila's mom. But he hid his anger well. When it was my mother's time to revive herself, she turned into her ashes. But never turned back." I felt the sting of grief reach me.

"Daniel took her ashes and scattered them around. You see, for a Phoenix to revive itself, it needed all of its ashes together. When the ashes separate, unless all are found, the Phoenix is as good as dead. However, I did not know that. All I knew was that Daniel came home with a grief sicken face and said that my mother was dead. At first, I didn't believe it. 'How could she be dead? It couldn't be true!' I was in a crazied state, running around the house opening all doors and toppling everything down to find my mother. Daniel threw me outside and told me to scram until I was normal. I ran into the forest and finally sadness hit me. Then, the anger that transformed me into my animal hit me. My memory went blank after that. But when I finally woke up, in the middle of the forest, I realized that my father had killed her....."

A single tear trailed down my cheek.
My pack was looking at me with sympathy. I quickly wipe that tear away and continue.

"I lived with Daniel and his new bride for some time, before being sent to Mythical School..."
My scar burned even more. I haven't put the cream on it. So my skin felt like it was on fire; and I let it. I wince as a stronger wave of pain hit me. Ethan looks at me in worry, "Your scar?"

I nod. "My scar happened in Mythical school..... The night of the escape. Screams and yells were heard as all of us were escaping. The school was on fire, the guards chasing down and tasering kids, a huge hole was in the building, and demons were running around loose, attacking everyone. I was able to escape unnoticed by the chaos that was happening around me. Everyone was fighting for their own lives. But we were being caught like sardines. It was night time and the forest was haunting. We could be caught easily in there, but also with difficulty. I remember stopping by the edge of the forest. The screams of children ringing in my ears, and I was frozen in fear...
Then a smoothing hum came from my left. I was hypnotized. This hum as causing a calm feeling to settle over my bones, instead of the fear of being caught and/or killed. I walked toward the sound. I went deeper inside the forest until I ended up near a small pond. "

"Floating above the pond, was the spirit of the Phoenix, my mother. She gave me one of her smiles that I always loved and I remember trying to run to her. But she shook her head no. I stopped. Right then, lightning struck from above, hitting my back. The pain, was the feeling of burning alive. I remember collapsing on the floor and darkness taking me. I felt the cool hand on my mother caressing my cheek, before she disappeared also. I woke as soon as the feeling disappeared. The screams of pain and horror still echoed in the distance, most of the children still have not escaped. I saw an image of a Phoenix in my mind and calmness flowed through me. I had to save the other kids, even if I didn't know them. Then, my scar exploded with pain. It forced my transformation on me. Once again I didn't remember what animal was, I just had one thought: together."
"Then, I roared. The forest around me shook. The screams creased just slightly and soon enough the kids started coming to me. Somehow, we connected and figured out how to take out the guards and the demons. Then we attacked back....."

I paused, the packing taking in what I said.
"Demons are destroyed through teamwork. Every time someone charges at a shadow demon, it disappears. It reappears behind the person and usually destroys them. The only way to kill a shadow is through light. Right when the demon is about to disappear and reappear, a light needs to be flashed at it; a light held by someone pure. Then the demon disappears, and it stays gone forever..."

My scar burned and I grit my teeth.
My pack looks at me with awe. "How did you know that?" Jack whispered. I shrugged and gave a small smile, "Experience. That and as a free-runner I ran into some demons a couple of times."

Athena sighs, "Kate, that sounds amazing, but how do we take on thousands of demons?"
I grin, "The same way the kids at Mythical School took out hundreds of demons; together."

Anna rolls her eyes, "Ya, but this little gang can't take out that many!"
I smirk, "I said together not alone."
Anna opens her mouth to rebuke again, but the door bell rings.
A butler appears in front of us. "You have guests." He says monotone and disappears.
I smile at my pack as they look between themselves completely confused. My scar keeps burning.
We walk towards the entrance of the castle and my scar becomes more and more painful. As we reach the door, I collapse. Ethan's warm arms catch me. "Kate!"

"I'll be fine, just open the door." I tell my nervous pack mates.
Anna purses her lips and her hand grasps the golden door handle. As the door opens she gasps.
Her mouth drops as she turns to me. I give a weak smile, my skin feeling like it was on fire from my scar.

"What?" Jack asks her. She opens the door completely and then the rest of the pack's mouths drop. There, on the field, stood everyone from Mythical Academy. All the packs, all looking determined and proud to stand up against the demons with us. Esmerelda and Jazzy were standing in the huge crowd, grinning broadly and everyone else we knew like Mr.Grim, Ms.Sharpfang, everyone.. Everyone was here. The hundreds of students that belonged to Mythical Academy and other pure mythicals were here. My scar called them, and my thoughts transferred to all of them.

I smile to Anna, "Together."
Then darkness took me as the pain finally took me under.