Chapter 6

Loki entered the weapons vault nervously. He wasn't allowed in there without supervision, but he needed answers. He swallowed hard and walked toward the Casket of Ancient Winters. As he did, he felt its power pulsing through the air. He's surprised he'd never felt it before. Then Loki stood right in front of it. He was never this close to it before, and its power was strange.

He gripped the sides of the Casket and carefully lifted it up. He somewhat expected it to burn him, but it didn't. Instead, it slowly turned his skin blue and eyes blood-red, confirming his worst fears. "Stop!" Odin's voice echoed from behind him. His heart leapt into his throat.

Of course he'd get caught because why wouldn't he? He swallowed hard and managed to ask, "Am I cursed?"

"No," Odin replied. "What am I?" Loki asked, lowering the Casket back onto the pedestal. "You're my son," Odin replied. Loki turned around revealing his true skin that was slowly fading back into his "normal" form. "What more than that?" he asked. Odin simply stared at him.

"The Casket wasn't the only thing you took from Jotunheim that day, was it?" Loki asked, approaching the base of the stairs Odin stood atop of. "No," Odin admitted. "After the battle, I went into the temple and found a baby. Small for a giant's offspring, but was clearly Laufey's son."

"Laufey's son. He...he was telling the truth," Loki said mostly to himself. Then he glared at his "father".

"You were knee deep in Jotun blood. Why would you take me?" he demanded. Odin frowned. "Tell me!" Loki exclaimed. "Do not raise your voice to me, boy," Odin snapped, slapping Loki across the face. Angry tears streamed down his face as he glared at Odin. "You should be grateful," Odin said.

"Greatful? For what? You treating me like dirt all my life?" Loki asked. "Greatful that I spared you that day and gave you a home," Odin replied. Loki scoffed and choked out, "I'd rather had died than suffer at the hands of you." Before Odin could say anything, Loki was enveloped in green smoke and disappeared.

He appeared in his room and let out an angry scream. He flipped over his desk, lit his bed on fire, and knocked his shelf filled with books over. Then he noticed that the temperature had dropped significantly. It was now cold and he could see his breath. He looked down and noticed frost was forming around his feet and spreading across the floor.

It's you. You're a monster. Everyone would be better off without you. He swallowed hard and summoned a knife. He pulled up his sleeve and held the blade just above his wrist. Why do you hesitate? End it now. Then pressed the blade into his wrist. Crimson blood oozed out of the cut but it wasn't deep enough.

Right before he could press any deeper,there was a knock on the door. "Sweetheart? Are you in there?" It was Frigga. "Yes," he called back, making the knife disappear. As the door opened, he yanked his sleeve down and hid his hand behind his back.

Once Frigga saw the state of his room, she gave him an empathetic look. "I know you're upset, and I don't blame you,"she said. "Why didn't you tell me?" Loki asked softly. "I kept the truth from you so you'd never feel different. You're father...it was for a different reason."

"He was ashamed to call me his son," he replied bitterly. "I...I don't know. I want you to know that despite not giving birth to you, I love you as much as I love Thor," she replied, wrapping him in a protective hug. "I know, Mother. Thank you," he murmured, hugging her back.

Then they released each other,and Frigga said, "Just so you know, your father is in the Odinsleep."

"He fell into the Odinsleep? Isn't it a bit soon?"

"He's in old age and his energy drains much faster now. I'm not sure how long he'll be in it, but..."

Then a man entered the room, holding Gungnir. Then the man got down on one knee and held it to Loki. Confused, he glanced Frigga. "Odin is in the Odinsleep and Thor is banished. The line of succession falls to you," she explained. He inhaled sharply. This was not what he expected at all. "Until Odin awakens, Asgard is in your hands," Frigga added.

Loki gulped and returned his gaze to Gungnir. He carefully and uncertainly lifted the spear out of the man's hands. It felt heavy, and Loki could feel its power. The man left room,and Frigga, "I know you'll make a great king."

"I'm not ready for this," he admitted. "No one ever is. Besides, it is temporary."

"Was Fa...Odin ready when he was crowned?"

"No. He made all kinds of mistakes, but as time went on, he got much better."

"Will you...help me?"

"Of course. I'll be here whenever you need me."

Loki gave her a small smile and said, "Thank you. I shall make you proud."

"I know you will," Frigga replied, kissing his cheek. Then she left, but as soon as she did, his smile fell. He wasn't meant to be king. It was supposed to be Thor, not him. He's the unworthy one. The spare. The monster. Yet, his mother had faith in him. If she believed he'll be a great king, then he won't disappoint her. He'll be king for a little while, but he'll try and fix things. With this new resolve, the new king used his magic to fix his room and left.