Chapter 17

The next morning, Loki sat up in his bed and stretched. Despite having a nightmare last night, he felt well rested and at ease. He got up and changed into a long-sleeved green tunic, black trousers, and black knee-high boots. If he wasn't a Jotun, then he'd be wearing layers instead.

He stepped out into the hall and walked to the dining room where Laufey was talking to a guard. "Your highness," the guard greeted Loki, bowing his head. Loki responded by bowing his head as well.

"You're dismissed," Laufey told the guard. The guard bowed his head to Laufey and left the room. Laufey turned to Loki and greeted him. "Good morning. Were you able to sleep?"

"Yes. Out of curiosity, what were you talking about?"

"We were talking about the festival coming up in a few days."

"A festival?"

"Yes, the Sun Festival. It marks the time spring on Jotunheim occurs. It's also a good time to introduce you to the people."

"The-the people?" Laufey nodded and added, "You don't have to go if you don't want to. I just thought..."

"No, it sounds fun. I'm just a bit nervous." Laufey smiled and placed a hand on his shoulder. "The people will love you."

Loki smiled a bit and nodded. Perhaps getting to know the people will be okay after all.

...

"Hello, my Queen," Heimdal greeted Frigga as she approached. "Hello, Heimdal."

"Is there something you would me to help you with?"

"How is Thor?" Heimdal turned his gaze to Midgard and saw Thor eating lunch with his new friends. "He is doing well. He's eating with the mortals he befriended."

"I'm glad to hear that. What of Loki?"
Heimdal turned his gaze to Jotunheim and saw him eating breakfast with Laufey. "He and King Laufey are eating as well. They're getting along pretty well."

"Is he happy?"

"He seems happier than than before he left."

"That's a relief."

"Are you worried, your majesty?"

"I'm always worried for them."

"Especially Loki?"

"Yes. He was struggling a lot, and I worry that he might be..."

"Might be what?"

"Hurting himself."

"To be honest, my queen, Loki has been often hiding from my sight lately."

"He has?"

"Yes, and I fear that something is wrong."

"Oh, dear..." That just made her more worried about Loki. If he was hurting himself... she didn't want to think about it. "I wouldn't worry too much, though. He hasn't done it since he arrived on Jotunheim," Heimdal reassured her. "Well, that's good. Heimdal, if Loki disappears from your sight again, let me know."

"Of course, your majesty." With that, Frigga walked away.

...

Loki was now lying on his bed, reading when he heard a familiar voice. "Loki." He sat up and his book aside. "Hello, Mother." Frigga was standing beside the bed.

"How are you holding up?"

"I've been fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, why?"

"Well," Frigga said as she sat on the bed, "Heimdal told me that you were hiding from his sight. Do you want to tell me why?"

Loki swallowed hard and calmly replied, "It's nothing."

"Please, don't lie to me, sweetheart." Loki looked away, feeling ashamed. "I..."

Frigga sighed. "Alright, you don't have to tell me. Just do me a favor and let me know if you're upset. Please."

"Of course, Mother. I didn't mean to worry you."

"I know." A small smile formed formed on her face, and Loki smiled back. "I love you, sweetheart."

"I love you, too, Mother." Then Frigga disappeared, and Loki sighed. Tears pricked his eyes. He hated lying to her, but he couldn't let her know the truth. It would break her heart.

It was for the best. Loki flopped onto his bed and sighed. He prayed to the Norns that everything would be okay.