Chapter 18

Laufey was sitting on his throne, thinking about his son. For some reason, he felt that something was bothering Loki. He wasn't sure what and wanted to help, but he didn't want to make Loki feel uncomfortable. Perhaps the festival coming up would allow them to bond some more.

Speaking of him, Laufey felt that he should go check on Loki. He stood up and walked to Loki's room. He lightly knocked on the door and asked, "Loki, are you in there?"

No answer. "Loki?" He opened the door and saw his son sound asleep. Laufey smiled softly and quietly closed the door.

....

Loki woke up with a start. It wasn't from a nightmare; it was something else. It felt like some ancient power was growing stronger each day. He looked around and shivered. It wasn't from the cold, obviously. Loki got up and changed into his usual attire. He left the room and found Laufey talking to Freya in the kitchen.

"Hello, Loki. Sleep well?" Laufey asked. Loki nodded and greeted Freya. "It's nice to see you again, Freya."

"It's nice to see you, too, Loki."

"Ah, I see you already met your aunt, Loki," Laufey said. "Wait, 'aunt'?" Loki asked, very surprised. "Yes. She's your mother's sister."

"Oh," Loki muttered, processing the information. "I'm sorry I didn't say anything when we met. I wasn't sure how you'd take it," Freya said. "It's alright. I understand."

"Are you okay?" Laufey asked, noticing something was off. "Um, yes. I'm fine. I was just wondering..."

"Wondering what?" Laufey asked. "I keep feeling this ancient power here, and I was wondering if you had any idea what it was."

"Well, the only ancient power that resided on Jotunheim were the Casket of Ancient Winters and Ymir, but Ymir was said to have died."

"Are you sure he died?" Loki asked. "Well, that's what the legend said," Freya replied. "What if it's wrong?"

"What do you mean?"

"Think about it. The Casket of Ancient Winters is in Asgard, and no knows for sure that Ymir is gone. I feel a power that is extremely ancient, far more ancient than the Casket itself. I know it's a long shot, but perhaps there's a chance that Ymir is out there somewhere."

"That's...a lot, son. I'm a bit surprised you came to that conclusion."

"I know it sounds crazy, but... I believe it to be true."

"I know, you do. How about we look into it?" Laufey said, placing a hand on his shoulder. Loki smiled a bit, and Laufey and Freya smiled back.

Sorry for the long hiatus. I had writer's block again along with school and work. I hope you like this, albeit short chapter. The next chapter will be longer. 😊