Chapter 15

Loki sat at the large dining table beside Laufey, who sat at the end. In front of him was a plate with bread, some kind of soup, some kind of red meat, and a vegetable that he didn't recognize. Laufey had the same thing.

He noticed Loki looking at his food curiously and said, "I know it's not what you're used to. We don't have Asgardian food, but I hope you like it."

Loki nodded and tasted his soup. It tasted like creamy cheese. He smiled and stated, "The soup is delicious."

"I'm glad to hear it. Try the rest of it and see. If you don't like any of it, you don't have to eat it."

Loki tried the rest of it and was delighted to know all the food was delicious. As they ate, Laufey asked, "Loki, may I ask you some questions?"

"Of course."

"What do you do for fun?"

"I like to read and practice my magic."

"What do you like to read?"

"Mostly fiction. I like to imagine being in the world of the characters. It's a nice escape."

"Escape?" Loki instantly regretted that choice of words but kept his composure. "You know, escaping from the stress of royal duties."

"That I can understand."

"I figured." Then Loki shuddered as a wave of strange energy. "Loki?"

"I... feel something." He stood up and scanned the room. Suddenly, the energy was gone. "That's odd. It is gone." Laufey hummed as Loki sat back down. Whatever it was, Loki had a strong feeling it was important, and he would feel it again.

...

Up in the mountains of Jotunheim, far away from the palace, something was stirring inside the mountain. It was ancient and very powerful. It was on the verge of waking from a deep slumber.

It was sensing something on Jotunheim. Something that hadn't been on Jotunheim in a thousand years. It was the reason it was waking up.

...

Odin sat on his throne, contemplating Loki's disappearance. Suddenly, he felt a faint energy coming from somewhere, an energy that he hadn't felt since he was a child. "Ymir."

I know this was shorter than usual, but I figured it was a good place to stop. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. 😊