Chapter 8

Loki stood in the snow on Jotunheim. He used the Bifrost to arrive and landed in the exact same spot they landed earlier. Loki had to admit, he was nervous as hell. Not only was he going to negotiate with Laufey, but Laufey was his father. He swallowed hard and approached the ruined castle.

Surprisingly, the guards didn't try to stop him. They simply bowed their heads in acknowledgment. Laufey saw Loki and stood up eagerly. He'd been planning to sneak into Asgard and bring Loki back but was surprised to see him now. "Loptr," Laufey breathed. "It's Loki, you're majesty. Wait...how did you...?"

"The guard that grabbed your arm told me," Laufey explained. "Ah, I see. Um...I came to negotiate with you," Loki explained nervously. "Negotiate?" Laufey asked. "Yes. I am aware that you are pissed at my brother and fa...Odin...so, I wanted to compromise with you so there won't be anymore bloodshed."

Laufey stared at him for a moment. He could tell Loki was on edge, which was understandable. "Go on," Laufey gently urged. "If you leave Asgard alone, I'll give you something you really want."

"Which is?"

"Me. I'll return to Jotunheim after doing some important work up in Asgard, and...I'll stay with you."

A smile formed on Laufey's lips. "I accept your terms, as long as you return."

"Alright."

Loki nodded once, spun on his heel, and walked out of the ruins. Laufey felt so much joy. His son was returning home. At least now, he can finally be a part of his son's life. Loki summoned the Bifrost and arrived in Asgard.

His heart was pounding, but he kept his composure in front of Heimdal. "What were you doing down there?"  said the stoic guard asked. "Whatever do you mean?" Loki asked in a smooth tone. "The moment you touched Jotunheim, I could neither hear you nor see you," he explained.

"Tell me, Heimdal, did Odin ever fear you?"he asked. "No. Why do you ask?"

"You hold great power. Power that could rival Odin's if you wished to."

"Where are you going with this?"

"Because you are one of the most powerful people I've met. I just want you to know that I respect you. I just hope that respect is mutual." With that, Loki left Heimdal alone to ponder what he meant. He was being genuine though. He really did respect Heimdal like everyone else on Asgard. He's had respect for him since he was child.

Sadly, he felt like Heimdal didn't respect him. Every time he interacted with the gatekeeper, he'd look at Loki like he was not to be trusted. That time was no different. Once he entered the throne room, Frigga walked up to him. She had a look of concern, which worried Loki. "What is wrong, Mother?" he asked.

"Loki...where did you go? You disappeared without warning," she said. "I'm sorry, Mother. I didn't mean to frighten you."

"I know you didn't," Frigga placed a gentle hand Loki's cheek, "I'm just worried about you 'tis all."

"I'm fine. There's no need to worry."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

Frigga looked carefully into his eyes. She had a feeling that he wasn't fine. She didn't expect him to be after discovering the truth. "You know that you can always talk to me, right?"

"Of course, Mother," he replied, gently pushing her hand away from his face. Frigga sighed and said, "Alright, but perhaps you should get some sleep. You look exhausted."

"I will, Mother. Thank you," Loki replied and walked away from her. Frigga watched him until he disappeared. "My baby boy..."she muttered to herself. She hated seeing him in pain, just like any mother would react toward her child's pain. She hoped he'll let her help him heal, but how can he if he's so scared to speak up? Frigga prayed to the Norns that Loki will be alright.