16

Nicol's interest dwindled in them and it began trailing to the groups of priests hurrying around pews. They were rushing around for some reason, like hens following their mother goose. It was such an odd sight for a place of quiet. Christine silently wondered if it was Nicol who caused their flurry, unsure if the appearance of a noble would send them into a fit, but none made any attempts to approach him.

Which made it easier for them to conduct business. Christine let her stare shift to Eric. Because he had been dragged with him, she imagined Nicol had taken him to the most boring places, unlike the sweet shops, potteries, and toymakers they drifted through. In one of the many Henri insisted they go to, Christine had caved and bought two bags of chocolate.

Christine handed one to Eric, whose skin was oddly greyer than the week before though she refused to comment on it. "You like sweets." She said, remembering from the first time they met.

"Thank you," He murmured, stuffing them into his leather tunic in need of shining.

Henri was outright jealous. Before he went into a throwing fit in a place of worship, she sighed and gave him her own share. He startled, eyes widening. "For me?" There was such child-like joy in his eyes. So much so that she nodded, pretending it was originally for him.

"We have to share." He stated as he opened the bag and before she could disagree, he popped a couple pieces in her open hand and strode off between the altars. Already ten feet away from her before she could scold him.

She gripped onto the pieces in her hands, trembling in frustration. It was the fifth time today he'd fed her. Seventh for Maze, who had a hard time being firm with Henri when it came to sweets.

Nicol surveyed her clenched fist. "Giving him your bag of chocolate was a mistake."

Indeed it was.

"Where is he going?" She muttered, watching as Henri continued to weave in between stone sculptures of the Goddess before outright disappearing through open doors that looked far too big for knocking.

Awaiting an answer, she allowed herself to study Nicol. His skin was two shades lighter than Henri's, the only resemblance between the two. His inheritance of being half-Dajhan, but their cousinhood still lay. The glimmer in his eyes as they watched the remsences of Henri stream was confirmation enough.

He already knew why we were here.

Maybe he wasn't that childish. She hoped she was wrong. She gestured to the beggars next to Nicol. "How many of them did you put in here after last week?" She was choosing to ignore how the square seemed fine this morning, but if Maze's arm couldn't be fixed immediately, then maybe the people were not.

"Hardly any." He answered before trailing after Henri's gait. She hurried to follow him, Maze and Eric following foot.

"Why do I feel like that's a lie?" She whispered harshly, glancing at the many men and women who slept peacefully in rags. Christine had spent her life pouring over sheet music. She sought churches as places of worship, unsure on how to feel with the many beggars choosing to reside here. She knew it was a sign of her ignorance, that this world wasn't as lavish as she thought it to be. These are the people Clara will help, she thought ruefully. And maybe Nicol as well, when he'd finally grow a heart underneath that mask of greed.

"The church houses the homeless," Nicol said quietly, "But only so many are lucky. And only so many churches actually choose to house them. Those less fortunate are forced to beg on the streets." His mind was ahead of them all, the scheme of his glory shifting into place. "We're asking what are the items they need the most. Soon, my businesses will give them opportunities to work and my shelves will be lined with the things they need. It'll ease the burden on many of these churches. The products needed should be our first focus."