45

Lleana swept her hair over her shoulders towards the foyer where Issac disappeared, the action like a peacock pining for a mate."I don't want those slaves of ours to have any hope. Although House Rumiere has already accepted all those foreign animals, we are the ones who conquered Margrita. And Dajha." Lleana's smile was eerily cryptic, excitement thrumming the chords in her voice. "House Rumiere may welcome them with open arms, however, we will be the ones to hold them in check." Her smile dimmed, voice lowering as one would a knife. "I want you to apologize to your father. Not because you are wrong and he is right, but because things at court will soon be changing. I fear your absence may tip the scales out of our favor."

Christine tipped her head, mouth twisting in consideration, but then firmed to a line.

This is not my life.

The faith that drew her closer to escape was all that she had left now. She whispered at night how the return of her actual name would warm her throughout the winter. That the victory of her survival outweighed her cowardness to Issac, and most days, that reason was enough. It would have to be enough when she left.

Christine returned to her papers. "I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that."

"Let's pretend that you did."

Christine turned with a start and ended with a grim frown. Sometimes, when she felt that pull of guilt building inside of her she tried to think of the good, if there was any at all. It had forms. Some came in the form of memories, others burned down her spine and she shriveled underneath its weight. Think of yourself, she thought, Know that this is not your life. It was only a pretense. Because if she thought too much of herself she couldn't stop from turning into a selfish shell of a person. She'd see Nicol's face haunting over her. Eric's. Henri. Maze. Issac.

"If that person is coming, then our family is better off with you there," Lleana insisted, unable to draw the peril away from her eyes. "The spat you had with your father is a momentary inconvenience. You know how to handle those Rumiere rats. My sweet, Rionack is an idiot."

Christine couldn't disagree.

"Though he has some... favorable qualities, it is not enough to dissuade our rival faction. You see—"

"Roma!" Issac bolted through the room, the delirium in his voice sending a chill through the room. His skin looked bloodless, wet with sweat as if he had run for his life. At the sight of Lleana, he shriveled within his spine but kept talking. "I-I didn't know you were still, but—it's my brother. He... He..." Issac stammered, struggling to correct himself, "No, they're—"

Lleana burst like an overcooked egg. "I ought to tear your throat out with my fan! How dare you interrupt, you worthless—"

"What's wrong?" Christine cut in, pushing away the battered peacock beside her. Something wasn't right. "What about Lexiard?"

Issac was shaking all over, trembling as she had never seen before. "They're touching him. Rionack and his—"

But Christine could not hear any more words beyond that, for before her emotions were kept in cages. Opening and closing when the gates were unlocked. Anger held the sturdiest lock, and fate rarely left her to open it. She normally wormed her around to guilt, sadness, shame. After seeing Lexiard sinking deeper and deeper in his hostility within their meetings, Rionack's acceptance to her request, easy acceptance... All that was left running through her blood was harrowing, rotten rage.

Lleana's eyes widened in realization. "You can't go there. I forbid it!"

Christine disobeyed.