What Wish So Haunted Excerpt (14)

—♔—

"My Father... hates me."

Pain rippled through Clara at the sound of those words, even if there was a spark of disbelief. She saw how the head of House Rumiere looked at Nicol. Pride, yes, envy...on occasion. Yet in those times, hatred never crossed her mind."But I thought—"

"What? That we're this perfect family you see in the portraits?" He snarled, eyes burning dangerously like a cusp of a flame. "You don't know how much I want to hold him by the throat every time I see him. Hold until his face turns purple and he dies."

She shifted against the weight of his words. She'd never seen Nicol so angry and never wanted to cry more. "I—I'm sorry. I didn't know." Swallowing, she placed her hands on his. Her heart hammered against her chest. "But what I do know is that... I love you."

Nicol shuddered, visible bare. "How could you possibly love me? I'm... a monster. " He shook his head. "You should be afraid of me."

"I'm not afraid of you," She defended, tightening her grasp. "I'm in love with you. No—I love you. I will never leave you."

"And I will never leave you." He whispered back, and Clara burned like a star when he pressed his lips against hers and held firm.

-Lisa R. Hopkins. Excerpt from What Wish So Haunted, Year 2017 Edition.

—♔—