What Wish So Haunted Excerpt (11)

—♔—

Clara threw her sword left, Rionack crackling right, and together they danced. "How pitiful," he crooned. "If you wanted to fuck me so bad, all you need to do is ask."

Clara visibly recoiled in disgust. "I'd rather lie with a dog."

"You can hardly tell the difference!" Roma called to her from the floor above the courtyard, lips curled in a secretive smile. Like a wolf in queen's clothing, she watched her lambs play. "Though I must say, my brother seems to have developed a...taste for your kind. I'm sure you'd both enjoy the time together. I know your brothers did."

Clara hissed to stop the rage spewing in her heart. Focus. She's trying to distract you. Rionack's attacks were light but the movements were deadly. One mistake and she'd be hacked into two. Part of her wondered if he was there during the war, if these movements were one that killed her brethren, but she was not afforded the gift of pondering as Rionack swung for her head.

Clara ducked low, trying to gain ground. Sweat made it near impossible to grip the hilt of her sword perfectly. Nicol said he'd be here in the letter she received. Just where was he?

"Don't get blood on your suit," Roma heeded to her brother from above, Clara losing her focus to listen, "We have an affair with Father at eight."

It was all she could do before her sword was ripped out of her hand. Rionack threw his weight on his left leg and cut her feet with his right. She was too stunned to see, toppling over as dirt sprung against her face. She crawled away as Rionack neared, laughing.

"Don't you touch me!" She didn't care if they held her brothers. Didn't care what it meant as her lips broke into a vengeful grin. "My fiance is going to be here soon. And you can't beat him. You can't beat him like me. He has no weaknesses, and when he comes here he is going to—"

"The Goddess must love her fools," Roma purred from above. "Because she's made so many."

-Lisa R. Hopkins. Excerpt from What Wish So Haunted, Year 2017 Edition.

—♔—