What Wish So Haunted Excerpt (18)

—♔—

Clara studied the person who pulled her intrigue, the old woman who already had been eying her the moment she stepped foot into the square. At the end of the market, the old woman had neither stall nor cart, but hunched over a yellowed rug with piss stains and ashy grim. Clara didn't know if her dreams leading her outside of House Rumiere were foolish, but she approached the old woman with a heavy-handed foot.

"Princess," The old woman rasped, lifting her face to reveal a face of lost teeth and scars.

Clara buried herself further inside her cloak. No one should have been able to recognize her. "It's madam, to you." She said, equally as rude. Though it came from her defensiveness, not sincerity.

"Have you come for a reading, then?" One of the old woman's scarves dipped over the set of cards spread across the withered rugs, the others covering the old woman's eyes, and Clara was unsure if she had lost one or not. The old woman eyed for a purse.

"You tell fortunes?" Clara asked, fiddling with coins in her hands while being unable to recognize the pattern of the cards. Definitely not Margritan.

"Only when I see something interesting," The old woman replied, licking her gums together that had already dried. "And you, my dear, have quite an interesting story."

-Lisa R. Hopkins. Excerpt from What Wish So Haunted, Year 2017 Edition.

—♔—