Chapter 3: Lightening the mood.

"Um, Steve..."

"Yeah?" He called from in the living room

"I don't think these fit..."

Steve looked around to see April stood in nothing but his shirt, with the shorts he'd given her, around her ankles.
If it wasn't the ridiculousness of her outfit that made him laugh, it was definitely the squinted expression she pulled as he assessed the size of the shorts.
They both erupted into a giggle fit, lightening the mood of the room, but also April's overall emotional state.

Eventually Steve stood up and took the shorts from her "Well luckily my shirt is big enough that it fits you like a dress, so..."

"Yeah" she agreed "Thanks." she fumbled nervously not quite knowing where to put herself.
Steve soon noticed her nervous state.

"Take a seat, A... Make yourself at home." he offered "You want coffee?".

"Mm." She hummed, taking a seat "Yes please."

As Steve went off to make coffee, April's phone began vibrating on the table. She couldn't answer it, just sat staring at it. It must have rung twice more before Steve came back, handing her a mug.

He glanced at the ringing phone "Is it him?"

April nodded, leaning forward and sliding the power off button.

They sat in a comfortable silence for a while, just sipping hot coffee, until Steve spoke up.
"Hey-uh, you take my bed tonight. I'll sleep on the couch."

"Oh no, Steve I couldn't let you do that, honestly it's good enough for you to just let me stay here I-"

"No come on, I insist" he interrupted "You've had a rough night and my memory foam mattress will treat you well..."

"You're the best you know that?"

"Thanks." The corners of his mouth upturned "You look pretty tired..."

April yawned a "Yeah" laughing. "Think I'm gonna head for bed."

"Okay, goodnight April."

"Night Steve, and thank you... again" she giggled.

"You're very welcome April. Sweet dreams."