Part 8

I looked over at Soda and Steve and saw them each getting held away from each other.We all sat there for a minute until we all calmed down.When we were all calm enough we stood up and walked back to the house.I walked with Pony and Johnny, while Soda was with Darry, and Steve was with Two-Bit and Dally.When we got back to the house Soda sat at the table and Steve sat on the couch.I was sitting in the armchair in the living room looking at the ground.I had my hand on my cheek, it hurt so bad.And it was bruised now.Pony came in and handed me and Steve a ice pack.I put it on my cheek and shivered at first cause it was so cold.Steve put it on his face, that's where he was hit most.I looked over at Soda, he had an ice pack too.I hated to see my boyfriend and brother fight.I hated to see anyone fighting.I wanted to say something but I was scared.I didn't want to cause anymore drama.

"Natalie, are you okay," Steve asked as he looked at me sweetly.

"Yeah, my cheek just hurts," I said quietly, but loud enough so he could hear.

"What happened to your cheek," he asked.He must have been so focused on the fighting he didn't notice Soda kick me.I didn't want to say anything so I just shrugged.Pony sat next to him and whispered it in his ear.Steve nodded sadly.I felt tears in my eyes, and I didnt want anyone to see me cry, so I walked to mine and Ponys room.I layed on the bed and cried.After awhile I fell asleep.I woke up in the middle of the night, I felt strong arms wrapped around me.I knew it couldn't be Pony, he didn't have as big of arms as this person.I turned my head to see Steve, sleeping soundly.I smiled and turned towards him.I snuggled into his chest, and fell asleep.

The next morning -

When I woke up Steve was still right there next to me.I smiled as I sat up.He stirred a little and opened his eyes.I smiled at him and he smiled back.

"Morning," I said.

"Morning," Steve said, pulling me into a kiss.I smiled into the kiss and broke it.

"I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but why are you sleeping in here," I said.

"Well after you went to bed Darry wanted me to stay, so he told me to sleep in here, you know since your my girlfriend, while Pony slept with him...to give Soda his space," Steve said smirking when he said girlfriend.I nodded and smiled.I got out of bed and took out some clothes.Steve buried his head under the blankets so I could change and do my hair without him watching.When I was done I tapped him and he popped his head out of the blanket and smiled.He got out of bed, he was only in his boxers!I blushed, he slipped on his pants and shirt and we walked out into the living room.When Soda seen us he walked into the kitchen.I sighed and sat down on the couch, Steve did the same.I wanted to know what Steve and Soda were arguing about before the fight...it's been on my mind since it happened.

"Steve...can we talk outside," I asked.

"Yeah sure," he said.We stood up and walked out onto the porch.We sat down on the steps.

"So...I don't know if I'm being nosy or not...but if you don't want to tell me you don't have to...but I just want to know exactly what happened yesterday," I said.

"Well....

Flashback - Yesterday

I seen Soda run out of his room, and out the front door.I knew Natalie went to talk to him, and I knew he was upset about me and Natalie.But he's my best friend, and I needed to make sure he was okay.I ran out the front door after him.I wasn't too far behind him.

"SODA!STOP!PLEASE!," I yelled as I continued chasing him.We ran all the way to the park.When he tripped and fell, I ran over to him and collapsed on the ground next to him.We both caught our breath before we said anything.

"Got dammit Soda...what is your problem," I said as we both stood up.

"My problem is you're my best friend!And now you're dating my other best friend!My sister!," Soda said as he ran his hand through his hair.

"I know Soda, but don't you want us to be happy...you're gonna have to learn to deal with it," I said.

"I KNOW STEVE!," he yelled.

"NO I DON'T THINK YOU KNOW!," I yelled back.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP STEVE!!!YOU DONT KNOW ANYTHING!YOU THINK YOU DO BUT YOU DONT!YOU DONT DERERVE MY SISTER!," Soda yelled.I couldnt deal with this anymore.I punched Soda in the face and we began fighting...

End of flashback -

When Steve told me what happened I wanted to cry.I couldn't believe Soda thought Steve wasn't good enough for me.Well he was wrong.

"Wow...Soda really said all those things," I said.Steve nodded.

"So he kicked you in the face huh," Steve said, putting his hand on my still bruised cheek.

"Yeah...I don't know if he meant to do it...or if it was an accident," I said sadly.

"I hope it was an accident," Steve said.

"Me too," I said, I sighed.Steve smiled and grabbed my hand.We both got up and walked back into the house and sat back on the couch.After a while the whole gang showed up.We were all scattered around the house, Soda continued to avoid me and Steve.It made me feel like shit that my own brother wanted nothing to do with me.I was playing poker with Dally Two-Bit, and Steve when Darry came over to me and motioned me to follow him.I put my cards down and followed him into his bedroom.

"What do ya need," I asked.

"I need to ask you something," he said.

"What," I said.

"Did Soda kick you in the cheek on purpose," Darry asked seriously, I shrugged.

"I don't know," I said.Darry sighed and nodded.

"Why are you asking," I said suspiciously.